Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #1 
Elsewhere

Angry Just Terrible

I was at my LFS today, looking to get some new food (they were out -_-), when I saw the same black Betta that had been there since last November. I was just appalled, I figured he would sell so fast! But his fins. My God his fins. That had to have been the most advanced fin rot I have ever seen. There was hardly anything left and he was incredibly bloated, just sitting on the bottom of his tank, listless. I walked up to the girl who works there, a friend of mine, and these people actually take decent care of their Bettas. It's the only fish they sell, so they keep the entire store at about 78 degrees and keep half of their Bettas in little tanks. The cups are cleaned daily.

I asked her how much for him. She said since he was a double tail, which I have no clue how she could tell since he wasn't claimed as that on his bowl and his fins were gone, he would be ten dollars. I was appalled. I told her he has advanced fin rot, asking if that would lower the price. She said "OOOOOH is that what that is on his tail???" I was so mad. I told her yes, it was, would she lower the price. My mum walked in at that point and firmly said "No more fish."

I really hate it when she does that. I take GREAT care of my fish and she never even sees them. Her office is right across from my room, so I even took the liberty of getting rid of filters and doing anywhere from 2-4 water changes a week instead so it would be silent and not smell as fishy. I told her he was sick, and she said no more fish, I have my big 30 gallon to look after. There won't be fish in that thing for two months!

Anyways, I told the girl that one tsp per gallon of AQ Salt would help treat him, and she doesn't even know what AQ Salt is. I was shocked. I can personally say that I'll be grounded after Easter, because the store is now closed for the rest of the weekend and I am going back to get that fish on Tuesday, no matter what.

Sorry for the rant. No one in my family wants to hear it.
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #2 
Myates

Sorry to hear you couldn't help him.. not many people understand our passion. Do what is best for you, all you can do. Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

Could you call the store on Monday and ask to speak to the manager? Explain all this to him/her. You said they take decent care of the bettas, so maybe this little guy got overlooked somehow. Or, if you go back in on Tuesday, I'd still suggest speaking to the manager. Poor little guy.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #4 
Elsewhere

I can't Monday, Easter with the family... The pet store isn't a chain one and is the only one in town... I've already mentioned his condition to the owner and she hasn't done a thing, which is something I forgot to mention above, and partially why it bothers me so much...
Old 03-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #5 
logisticsguy

Where are you in Canada and what store was this? Cant say im surprised some stores that sell betta are clueless.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #6 
Elsewhere

I'm in Ontario, but can't say the store- personal reasons. They used to be so good with them, but lately... Just not working out. The others weren't doing great either, but at least weren't as bad as this poor guy :(
Old 03-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #7 
Crowntails

Poor fish!
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #8 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

That is so sad!
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #9 
Blue Fish

Poor little boy. :( He must be a tough little dude to be hanging on so tenaciously. :( Is there a reason your 30 g won't be ready for another two months?
Also, when the big tank is ready, would you be permitted to rescue him, or is the no more fish iron-clad?
It's hard to deal with parents who don't understand. :( I started with bettas in the 90's when I was a teenager, and I well remember the looks of annoyance I would get carting home yet MORE bettas... ;)

Anyway, maybe if you plead your case there could be an exception made? You know your family better than I do, but sometimes a little bit of explanation and information delivered in a very adult format can go a long way. :) To have such a caring offspring, your parent's must be good people. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #10 
Elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fish View Post
Poor little boy. :( He must be a tough little dude to be hanging on so tenaciously. :( Is there a reason your 30 g won't be ready for another two months?
Also, when the big tank is ready, would you be permitted to rescue him, or is the no more fish iron-clad?
It's hard to deal with parents who don't understand. :( I started with bettas in the 90's when I was a teenager, and I well remember the looks of annoyance I would get carting home yet MORE bettas... ;)

Anyway, maybe if you plead your case there could be an exception made? You know your family better than I do, but sometimes a little bit of explanation and information delivered in a very adult format can go a long way. :) To have such a caring offspring, your parent's must be good people. :)
I'm taking things slow with the 30g, letting the plants grow out and making sure every fish is healthy after a 2 week QT. I'm not putting any Bettas in there, as the filter will be too strong and I worry about how the Tetras I plan on getting would react... I happen to have a spare 2.5g right now that I was using on a different rescue that now has a new home. I actually have a journal on the 30g in the Journal section :P

I wish they would... They raised me well, yes, but my mother has an issue with how many animals I have. Apparently two dogs, a cat, four fish and two snails is too many >.> I've been telling her all day about how he's going to die if someone doesn't take him, and that no one probably will. I even said that I would find if a new home if she would just let me get him healthy. She finally turned and said "I really couldn't care less if it dies, it's just a fish." We haven't spoken for a few hours...