Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #1 
meadowlarque

New Fish from Walmart - Ill or No?

Hi everyone,

First time posting here. I just picked up a Crowntail Betta fish after seeing him pace angrily in his little cup at Walmart, and before I put him in his 5.5 gallon tank (he's in a 1 gallon bowl at the moment) I want to make sure I don't have to treat him for anything first. His fins look tattered and curled, and I can't tell if his body markings are due to genetics or illness... He's active, interested in just about everything, and hungry, so I wouldn't say he "acts" sick in any way.

I'm very new to Betta ownership, though I've been reading/learning a lot here in the past few weeks as I have gotten to know my first little guy, Duke (who is under his bubble nest staring at me as I type this). But as he is an entirely different color I haven't been able to effectively judge by comparison, only that his fins don't appear anywhere near as disheveled.

I hope these pictures are useful, but I would really appreciate if anyone with a little more experience could give him a quick look and see if anything jumps out that I should worry about. (I haven't done the survey questions as he was like this when I got him)

Thanks in advance,
Patricia
Attached Images

meadowlarque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #2 
SamJustice

He looks fine to me, IMO CTs always seems to have that tattered fin look, and when he's not flaring, the dorsal (i think thats the one) will always kind of fall over him and look kinda curled.
I see no markings on him, maybe my screen sucks (sitting outside). He looks like a happy boy to me, but quarantining for a bit is always recommended. But so long as he won't be sharing his tank with any other living creatures, it should be okay to acclimate him to his new home.

But, I'd wait for a few other responses before jumping to do that. Lol. I always like to have second and third and hopefully fourth opinions on anything I do with my boys.
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #3 
meadowlarque

Thanks SamJustice, I hope that is the case, as I'm looking forward to putting him in his new bachelor pad!

It's really his front bottom fins that keep almost knotting up (naturally I couldn't get them to do it when I took the pictures). Again, he does "seem" alright, he's super interested in everybody that passes his bowl. I think maybe due to his color that's why I'm seeing white and black spots, but I just wanted a good foundation of what I should look at going forward.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

I don't see anything wrong in the pictures. Curling fins can be the result of hard water, which is not a 'problem.' And it's tough to see details in the pictures, but I don't see any dark edges which would indicate something like fin rot.

Will he be the only inhabitant in the 5.5 gal? If so, IMO, you can move him into it, if you want. The best way to treat minor fin issues is just with warm, clean water. As long as he gets that, it doesn't matter if he's in a small QT tank, or his larger 5.5 gal home.

If he is going to be in a divided tank though, then I do suggest a quarantine period. When they arrive from pet stores, there's no way of knowing what they've been exposed to. But if he'll be on his own, then yes, I'd say you can introduce him to the new tank.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 03-30-2013 at 03:39 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #5 
Shirleythebetta

Looks good to me. He is a good looking boy. It is normal for crowntails to have some curling as stated above.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #6 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

He is beautiful! He looks fine IMO
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #7 
meadowlarque

Oh great, thanks everyone! I think it's just he looks so different from my other Crowntail, and also, I did get him from Walmart so I just wasn't sure if he'd be ok.

And yes, he will have the tank all to himself :)

Last edited by meadowlarque; 03-30-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #8 
Blue Fish

He's beautiful! I got a black and metallic green black orchid CT from my local walmart...who knew? He looked very similar to your guy, but with fins that were more curled. Apparently my water is softer than what he was in, and his have almost completely uncurled now, so your guy may straighten out as well in a few weeks. :)

I love the picture of him at full-battle stance, he's a really lovely guy!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #9 
Kithy

He looks great :D CTs always sort of look funny. Good job on saving one from Walmart!
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:17 PM   #10 
jadaBlu

Congratulations on getting such a beautiful fish! The only thing I was wondering about in your picture (it could be a reflection) was the top of his head area it looks likes there's white there if there is let us know. As for his curls I just got a crowntail that is rooster colored that I name Curly de Gallo (Gallo=Rooster) he has many curls in his fins some were tangled but have straightened.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote