Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #1 
Visionist

Amazing the difference tank size makes

I fell victim the other day to one of the supposed "starter" kits for beta fish, the half gallon tanks when shopping for a beta. I'm a reptile/hedgehog guy and decided to buy a betta for my girlfriend for easter as they are quite beautiful fish. I've only ever seen them in very small tanks(in which they are pretty motionless) so I didn't think to look up the tank size beforehand like I usually do with any reptile purchase(reptiles tend to be very needy and specific).
After I brought home the beta and the tiny tank I finally decided to do some research and found out that the 1/2 gallon tanks were cruel and way too small, being an animal lover this upset me and I went out first thing today and bought a 5 gallon tank with a filter(on the lowest setting to keep current slow) and as soon as I put him in it he started exploring the tank, in the tiny tank his fins were droopy and now they were fanned out fully and great looking.

The temperature in the room is about 72.5f so I will be going out to get a heater monday when shops open again but for now I don't believe the temperature will fall below 70 since the house is maintained with heat/air conditioning at a steady temperature.

I really can't believe they are allowed to sell such tiny tanks in pet stores and from now on I will definitely be doing a fair bit of research as I would like to get a snail to clean up the tank/food bits as well as maybe a small tankmate that cooperates well with a betta.
Visionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Good for you on doing research & making upgrades!! It is fun to watch them when they have a big world to explore. I hope in all your research you also read up on how to fish IN cycle a tank. If you don't have one yet you'll want to get a liquid test kit, test water daily for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates. Do a water change, I suggest 50%, if the ammonia or nitrites are >.25 or nitrates >20. Did you also get a good water conditioner like Prime? Would love to see some pics. Ask any questions you may have.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #3 
Crowntails

It's great to hear that you got him a bigger tank!
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #4 
Visionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Good for you on doing research & making upgrades!! It is fun to watch them when they have a big world to explore. I hope in all your research you also read up on how to fish IN cycle a tank. If you don't have one yet you'll want to get a liquid test kit, test water daily for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates. Do a water change, I suggest 50%, if the ammonia or nitrites are >.25 or nitrates >20. Did you also get a good water conditioner like Prime? Would love to see some pics. Ask any questions you may have.
Right now I have nutrafin cycle and nutrafin conditioner, which I put in a few hours before introducing the fish, I believe the filter is also bio active but I am not 100% sure as I am not at my girlfriends right now and won't be over until tomorrow due to work, I can snap some pics then though. The tank is a bit empty as I wanted some live plants but the only only good looking ones the pet store had were in the do not sell tank so I will be getting some from another store in a few days. I do not have a test kit but have no problems getting one if it is important to their care.

Could you elaborate what you meant by "fish in cycle"?
There is a lot of mixed info around the internet on their care so I may have missed some things.
Right now he has some generic beta flakes but I've read that is a bit crap so I'll pick up some pellets or higher quality flakes on monday as well.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

In simplistic terms, which I prefer , its "growing" beneficial bacteria (BB) to process ammonia - nitrites to nitrates. So you'll see ammonia 1st, then nitrites & nitrates. A fully cycled tank will have 0 ammonia/nitrites & <20 (some say 40) nitrates. It can take up to 8 wks to fully cycle a tank so be prepared for lots of water changes to keep your fish healthy. If your filter media is already "live" or seeded as we say then thats great you should have a mini cycle at most.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=78
This link may help . . . Its a little more detailed.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #6 
Blue Fish

LOL! Just wait...you'll start with five g's, then you'll move up to 10g...and before you know it they'll take over your house. ;)

It is so wonderful to watch them swim and explore! That's my favorite part about getting new guys, watching them is like when puppies first get to go outside. They are *astounded* at what the world looks like, and they love *everything*. :) I imagine it's like you've lived in your room your entire life. You have no concept of space outside your room, and then someone comes in, opens the door, ands shoves you out into the rest of the house and the yard. :) It's got to be amazing. :)

So glad your new guy is so happy!!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:48 PM   #7 
Visionist

Thanks for the sound advice guys. This is just my girlfriends betta....Its already put thoughts into my head about picking up my own as I have two 20 gallon tanks that are currently empty as I'm done breeding my geckos for awhile.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:10 AM   #8 
kyle89

Ohhhh no!! I bought my girlfriend on for Valentines day an now I too am buying myself a tank lol
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #9 
Visionist

Here is a poor quality pic from my phone, along with the new apple snail I got for cleanup duty :)

Old 04-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #10 
Ambergrisblue

It's wonderful to see a betta enjoy his territory. I already noticed that my bettas look and seem much healthier than before. :) That's very nice that you gave him more room.

With those 20 gallon tanks you can set up a REALLY gorgeous planted aquarium! There is nothing more beautiful than a beautiful betta fish swimming among lush living plant life...it's almost like he is an aquatic flower! <3
Ambergrisblue is offline   Reply With Quote