Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #1 
GaryJ73167

Is my Betta ok ?

Hi All,

I have had my Betta (SeaGate) now for about 2 weeks. he seems to be healthy and energetic.

He eats, he is actively swimming around a 10 gallon tank not having to share it with any other fish.

It is filtered and heated. i give him a variety of food that he eats without an issue.

When he see's me at the tank, he perks up and swims toward me. All in all, he is acting fine. he swims fine, he doesn't look bloated,..etc..etc

But, MANY times when he is idle, he does this nose dive into a (soft) fake decoration that I have in the tank and just sits there and doesn't move.

I have never seen a fish do this, and, I am just wondering if I should be concerned. Is he just quirky and tends to like doing this? or, does anyone see a reason this may be happening?

There is a picture below to show you what I am talking about. He is the red fish in the blue decoration facing straight down.
Attached Images

GaryJ73167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:04 PM   #2 
AyalaCookiejar

Is he completely vertical? The fact that he rests is not too concerning but I've been told that when they are vertical at the too of the water or standing on their nose/tail, its not a good sign. I would ask Sakura8 for more info on that, though.

The only other thing I will say is that spongebob pineapple house, I've had a bad experience with. It has metal framing on the inside and a part on mine was exposed and rusting. Even if its not exposed, the decoration is porous. Also, what is the temp and how slow is the filter outflow? My blind fish wedges himself in his plants when the current drags him around.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:12 PM   #3 
GaryJ73167

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Is he completely vertical? The fact that he rests is not too concerning but I've been told that when they are vertical at the too of the water or standing on their nose/tail, its not a good sign. I would ask Sakura8 for more info on that, though.

The only other thing I will say is that spongebob pineapple house, I've had a bad experience with. It has metal framing on the inside and a part on mine was exposed and rusting. Even if its not exposed, the decoration is porous. Also, what is the temp and how slow is the filter outflow? My blind fish wedges himself in his plants when the current drags him around.
Thanks. I am hearing more and more bad things about the pineapple house :(

Temp is about 80-82. Filter outflow isn't very string at all. If the current were too strong, is there an adjustment on the filter itself? I believe it is a Whisper 10.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:17 PM   #4 
GoodMorning

if he is healthy, don't worry, it's normal. Bettas love to cling onto things and just chill there. That plant is probably his favorite spot to hangout.
GoodMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:17 PM   #5 
AyalaCookiejar

No, I baffled my Whisper by sticking fluval filter foam in the top near the outflow. Filter sponge might work better, though, because it has smaller holes. I'm using it in my sorority tank and the flow doesn't bother females as much with their shorter fins.

There's a 5 gallon kit that comes with an adjustable whisper filter but for some reason not all of them have that >:/ if it were adjustable, there would be a switch on the back near the bottom.

Edit: sorry, I have the internal filter. The HOB could be baffled still with filter sponge. Personally, when I look through the front of the tank, up at the water surface from underneath it (if that makes sense) the flow is too much for my boys if I can see the water turning and circulating.

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 03-30-2013 at 11:20 PM.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:10 AM   #6 
Splendens17

Doesn't suprise me. They are lazy, lazy, lazy!
Splendens17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:08 AM   #7 
sainthogan

My male sometimes slides up on top of his leaves at the top of his tank and lays sideways so that he's not sticking out of the water. It used to freak me out, but now I know it's just one of his quirks. They all have their funny little things that they do that seem odd, but really, it's just a part of their unique personalities.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:50 PM   #8 
Snoeflayke

Mine used to do that too! I took his spot out, for my own piece of mind. I kept having to check him to make sure he was okay in there!

Another note: If that plant-thing is from Petco, it might have wire in it. I got a very similar one, and each stem has a wire core. Most of Petco's silk plants are really good, those fluffy ones are the only ones I've found that I have concerns about...
Snoeflayke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:35 PM   #9 
GaryJ73167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoeflayke View Post
Mine used to do that too! I took his spot out, for my own piece of mind. I kept having to check him to make sure he was okay in there!

Another note: If that plant-thing is from Petco, it might have wire in it. I got a very similar one, and each stem has a wire core. Most of Petco's silk plants are really good, those fluffy ones are the only ones I've found that I have concerns about...
Thank you. I will check on that. Is it safe to assume, that, anything that has a wire on it should most definitely not be in the tank?
Old 03-31-2013, 05:39 PM   #10 
Hadoken Kitty

For the most part, yea. The betta hammocks have wires in them, but they're perfectly stable if you pull the wire out. If you can remove the wire, this is best.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote