Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2013, 01:19 AM   #1 
Hadoken Kitty

When working with coppers...

I've found they my copper male is missing some...well....copper. I have a VT female that has this amazing orange hue to her. Her color is somewhere between an orange and rust. She is a rusty orange (lol). Anyways, I was wondering: would putting her color with my copper boy cause the fry to have more of a...well...copper hue?

He has amazing HM finnage (should be show), but she's a VT so I'm obviously going for color at this stage. I'll go back to finnage later.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:34 AM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I'm not sure what you mean (color). Could you post pictures of the color.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:39 AM   #3 
Hadoken Kitty

Yea, sorry. Like I said...terrible at descriptions! Dis-reguard the current state of my male's fins. His last wishful lover tore them to shreds as I'm sure you remember.

Edit: I feel like he has too much blue hue to him for a copper. Maybe I'm just thinking of a copper wrong?
Attached Images

Last edited by Hadoken Kitty; 03-30-2013 at 01:40 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 03-30-2013, 04:02 AM   #4 
louisvillelady

coppers have several different "hues". red blue, purple, yellow. Yet they are all copper. Copper is genetically steel blue with two metallic genes. I believe orange is recessive to steel blue, so his steel blue should cover his orange. Depending on their other genetic makeup, you may have other colors in the spawn as well.
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

+1 louisvillelady

Orange = Cambodian, Red, NR . . . in the least. But she also seem to have a touch of irid (her fins)

Copper x Orange = probabilities; green/turquoise (regular and/or metallic)- probably multi colored, copper - probably multi, cambodian like - various irid levels, pastel like colors, cellophane. If lucky . . . or what I would call a "stray" you might get multi red, orange, or yellow (probability for these is usually low).
Old 03-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #6 
JJChocolate88

I just found out my "dark silver" female is actually copper and my male is royal blue with red tipped fins.
JJChocolate88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #7 
Hadoken Kitty

So would this pair be worth it? I love both of their colors, and seeing them makes me feel sort of like a mad scientist. Besides, she's the gentlest female that I have, and he is a big wuss so I didn't want to pair him with a female that could kill him (again).
Old 03-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

You won't get pure copper nor orange. You'd probably get a rainbow of colors. And you won't get HMs. The best they can produce is DeT. If you're fine with that go for it.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:13 PM   #9 
Hadoken Kitty

Would I be able to achieve HM if I crossed back with dad? I'm just worried about the girl, because she's been really eggy for weeks now. She just keeps getting bigger and bigger. So I'm finding that she needs to be bred, because she's...well...huge.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #10 
GoodMorning

hmm...i think u'll get some funky babies if u cross hm and vt, lol. You wont get pure hm if u cross back to daddy, it'll be something like 75%. I think it'll be easier if u just go with a hm female so you wont be trying to breed backwards from a vt, lol.
GoodMorning is offline   Reply With Quote