Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2013, 12:24 AM   #1 
MadMay

Bottom Feeders for Fry Tank?

Which is better shrimp or snail? Other suggestions?

When would you add them to the tank?

My breeding tank will start off as a half filled 5 gallon then as the fry mature I will fill the tank then I will transfer larger fry to a 10 gallon and then a 29 gallon. The tank will contain a sponge filter and a heater. Only live plant I plan on having is duckweed. Also will follow normal water change regimen even with the filter.
MadMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:36 AM   #2 
Myates

Why transfer them 3 times? More risk doing that.. why not breed in the 10g filled about 1/4? That way they can be in there longer without being transferred.. otherwise, no point in transferring to the 10g for only a week or so.

I would use a snail at first.. place after fry are free swimming (some like to climb on the leaves that anchor the nest, etc). Then can continue to use a snail or can use shrimp in the grow out.

I personally use a single mystery snail in the 10g and my 29g grow outs, and also in the 29g grow outs I have small Ancistrus sp04 plecos that I then will put one in there. They eat anything from algae to live foods.. (basically small bristlenose plecos, only get to 4-5 inches - do not use common plecos, etc.. may have to go through a breeder to get some smaller, docile ones).

Don't turn the filter on until they are free swimming and strong enough - and make sure to use an air control valve.

What are you considering "normal water change regimen"? Each breeder does different.. some will vacuum multiple times a day, some will vacuum once a day, etc.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:37 PM   #3 
MadMay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Why transfer them 3 times? More risk doing that.. why not breed in the 10g filled about 1/4? That way they can be in there longer without being transferred.. otherwise, no point in transferring to the 10g for only a week or so.

I would use a snail at first.. place after fry are free swimming (some like to climb on the leaves that anchor the nest, etc). Then can continue to use a snail or can use shrimp in the grow out.

I personally use a single mystery snail in the 10g and my 29g grow outs, and also in the 29g grow outs I have small Ancistrus sp04 plecos that I then will put one in there. They eat anything from algae to live foods.. (basically small bristlenose plecos, only get to 4-5 inches - do not use common plecos, etc.. may have to go through a breeder to get some smaller, docile ones).

Don't turn the filter on until they are free swimming and strong enough - and make sure to use an air control valve.

What are you considering "normal water change regimen"? Each breeder does different.. some will vacuum multiple times a day, some will vacuum once a day, etc.
Sounds good I will just use the 10 gallon and keep the five on standby for emergencies. I would vacum twice a day my understanding is the banana worms which I will be using can live longer in the water then brine shrimp so I wouldnt want to vaccum after every meal as the fry can still snack on the surviving worms. I would use pantyhose liner over the vaccum to keep from sucking up the fry. I would wait until they are free swimming to vaccum.
MadMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:26 PM   #4 
Myates

Also keep a finger on the other end of the hose.. as even with panty hose your fry will stick to the intake section and not be able to move off.. with your finger on the other end, you can stop the flow of the water immediately and get it off.

I do one water change a day, it's all up to each breeder and what works for each spawn.. if you seem to have a lot of dead frys then doing a bit more changes would be a good idea, but if your fry seem strong then once a day of 50-75% should be okay. It will also be based on how many fry you have.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote