Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #1 
thedeecee

Betta died, what do I do with sucker fish?

Hi All, I'm new here! Excited to finally be part of a betta community.

One of my 3 betas just died, and his tank (a 5-gal w/ plants, filter, ornaments) needs a thorough cleaning, esp. if I plan to get a new betta, which we all know is inevitable!!

My question is: what about the sucker fish who still lives in the tank? I'm afraid to put him into my other betas, bc I'm paranoid he'll bring contaminants with him. Am I overreacting?

Also, there were a ton on snails in the dead guy's tank--anyone got a humane way of killing these guys when I clean the tank? I feel bad--they helped clean the tank for my betta, and now that he's gone, they have no more purpose? Feels so unfair. But I can't keep them... Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Deborah
thedeecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:12 AM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Do you know how the betta died?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:16 AM   #3 
thedeecee

Dropsy, I'm pretty sure. Scales were raised, eyes were cloudy... I tried to medicate him in a separate bowl, but I was too late. He passed away last weekend, so that tank has been without him for a little over a week.

Sorry if TMI, just trying to be complete.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:33 AM   #4 
alwaysaBettaLover

I'm sorry about your loss...I'm not good with snails and stuff. I only have one small apple snail so I don't really know how to kill it...but in sorry about your betta...
alwaysaBettaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

Sorry your Betta died. IMO, your 5g tank was overstocked & I would suspect ammonia poisoning killed your Betta. How long has your tank been set up? What kind of sucker fish? How many snails? There are very few if any sucker fish suitable to live in a 5g tank. I would get a liquid water test kit & check you ammonia, nitrites & nitrates & if you can't get a liquid test kit, take a sample of the water to an LFS.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:36 AM   #6 
thedeecee

Hi Always. Thanks! I was really sad. He jumped out of his hospital bowl! The cover i out on it wasn't quite big enough. I just hope he died quickly after that. :\
Old 03-31-2013, 11:59 AM   #7 
thedeecee

@shellie: I'm not at home, so I can't be 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure it's this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrinocheilus. The pic in the bottom right, the Chinese algae eater, looks a lot like mine. Very very small. Just one.

The snails are plentiful. I honestly don't know how many. They are the tiny ones. They kinda just appeared--I think my plants had eggs on them from my local fish store.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:18 PM   #8 
Hadoken Kitty

That sucker fish will grow to be far too large for a 5 gallon (11 inches in length). I believe that a bristlenose or rubberlip can fit in there, though (they only grow to be 4 inches MAX- usually 2 inches in length is average, though).

As far as the snails go, I would not kill them. I would simply transport them to another place long enough for you to be able to deep clean the tank.

I would use hot water and vinegar to clean the tank out. Some will say bleach, but vinegar cleans the tank just as well without the dangers of using bleach. It's really up to you, though.

You plan to get another betta, so there's no reason to kill live animals if they still have a purpose (especially in the near future).

I agree, though, that your tank is over-stocked. A stressed betta can get deathly ill from the stresses of an over-stocked tank. If I were you, before I purchased another betta, I would save up for at least a ten gallon. This will fit all of your lovely animals.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:39 PM   #9 
shellieca
Reference Team

If you do have CAE, it needs to be rehomed unless you plan to get a 40g or bigger tank soon. They rarely get larger than 6" in an aquarium setting but can get up to 12" as previously stated. Before purchasing fish you should research the types your interested in so you can provide the proper home for their ADULT size. If you have that many snails, I would get rid of some of them otherwise they'll just continue to reproduce & really get out of hand. You have a big bio load in that 5g. Personally, I would limit it to one Betta & maybe a couple of snails.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
after death, cleaning tank, dead fish, snails, sucker