Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #1 
slug61

upgrade

So,
after 6 weeks of attempting to cycle 2.5g filtered tank, i think i have decided to upgrad to this 5.5g tank Top Fin&reg 5.5 Gallon Aquarium Starter KIt - Sale - Fish - PetSmart

I will cycle it using pure ammonia (not sure where to buy it) ideas?
Would a live marimo moss ball be ok? do i put that in while cycling?
Should i put a piece of sponge in the filter to catch more BB?

Any ideas for setting up new tank, purchases? etc?
slug61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #2 
Fishybitty

You could get some live plants to help cycle, that will cost some $$ though. Also, it is a decent tank I have a 5 gallon version of it.
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #3 
kellyyoungmoney

i bought this tank looking to put live plants in it, but i was very limited to plants once i found out that the light was broken. not the bulb, but some part of the light fixture. i researched the tank a bit more and realized that this is a common occurrence with this tank. so now my tank sits in front of a window with some anubias and another unknown plant that grow just fine. i also baffled the filter because it was a bit strong.
But otherwise its been a great, quality tank!
kellyyoungmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #4 
waterdog

Why can't you cycle your 2.5?
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #5 
slug61

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
Why can't you cycle your 2.5?
it doesn't seem to be working at all. I would "like" to cycle it.
based on other responses a few days ago that the cycle is getting nowhere.
i have yet to get any nitrites in 6 weeks, and no nitrates.
See my post titled "mid-cycle"
Old 04-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #6 
Juditko

I started with a 1 gal, got online here, went to a 2.5, and then started the 5 gal vs. ten gallon debate. Ultimately, I went with a ten gallon Aqueon kit, but substituted a sponge filter. I personally am MUCH happier with the ten than I think I would have been with the five. In my area, it seems all the lights, hoods, etc. available are for ten gallon, and I was worried if something broke that I wouldn't be able to easily replace it. I do a water change on Saturdays, and all is well.

I will add that, despite it being quite debated on here, I did decide in the beginning to start the tank with Tetra SafeStart (reading the bottle directions and online Tetra website directions and forum Q and A carefully) with five harlequin rasboras. It has mixed reviews on the forum, but it worked for me. I do have an API water test kit, and used it often in the process, and I kept my betta in his 2.5 until the ten gal was ready.

Just a few cents' worth...not everyone has room for a 10 gal, and I thought I didn't, either. But the more research I did, the more sense it made to go to it (easier to maintain water quality, etc.) I'm a newbie with a busy family, so I needed something easier. There do seem to be tons of people on here who are happy with their five gallons, though...It's great to review OFL's sticky on water changes to see what fits your lifestyle regarding tank size. My 2.5 gallon was working me to death, so the 10 really was a much better option for me. My betta stayed in his 2.5 while I did all the research and local purchasing/online ordering, but once it all got in, set up, and cycled, I think he's happier, too.

With a five gallon, your betta will be at double his current size, so I'm sure he will be happier! How about substituting a sponge filter for the kit you're looking into? They are relatively inexpensive and highly recommended here.
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #7 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug61 View Post
it doesn't seem to be working at all. I would "like" to cycle it.
based on other responses a few days ago that the cycle is getting nowhere.
i have yet to get any nitrites in 6 weeks, and no nitrates.
See my post titled "mid-cycle"
Are you still getting ammonia reading? Maybe I'm jaded cause my 2.5 is fully cycled and I only do one 50% water change a week.

IMO I think a lot of the problem comes from the changing of water too much during the cycling process. I have even seen posts recommending a daily 50% WC or a 100% WC every other day. Here's the problem. If you take out all the ammonia as soon as it shows up, there is nothing for the nitrites to feed on and multiply. Going around the circle, if there are no nitrites there is nothing for the nitrates to feed on and multiply.

Makes sense, doesn't it?

When cycling my 2.5 I did 2 50% WC a week for about 3 weeks, then cut down to the one I do now. You can look in my photo album at the tank and see it is just fine and my HMPT is bright and active.

I also have a marineland hex 5 that is fully cycled. I did the same things to it and my crowntail couldn't be happier!

Everyone has different experiences and ideas. That what a discussion board is all about. Some people truly feel bigger is the only way to go. IMO I just can't see a fish the size of a betta needing 10 gallons of water all to himself. Heck, 10 gallons per fish is what's recommended for a discus!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #8 
slug61

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
Are you still getting ammonia reading? Maybe I'm jaded cause my 2.5 is fully cycled and I only do one 50% water change a week.

IMO I think a lot of the problem comes from the changing of water too much during the cycling process. I have even seen posts recommending a daily 50% WC or a 100% WC every other day. Here's the problem. If you take out all the ammonia as soon as it shows up, there is nothing for the nitrites to feed on and multiply. Going around the circle, if there are no nitrites there is nothing for the nitrates to feed on and multiply.

Makes sense, doesn't it?

When cycling my 2.5 I did 2 50% WC a week for about 3 weeks, then cut down to the one I do now. You can look in my photo album at the tank and see it is just fine and my HMPT is bright and active.

I also have a marineland hex 5 that is fully cycled. I did the same things to it and my crowntail couldn't be happier!

Everyone has different experiences and ideas. That what a discussion board is all about. Some people truly feel bigger is the only way to go. IMO I just can't see a fish the size of a betta needing 10 gallons of water all to himself. Heck, 10 gallons per fish is what's recommended for a discus!
I had been following your suggestion of only changing 50% water when ammonia reaches .5. I did that and was able to wait 6 or 7 days before it hit .5
but, I changed 50% on Monday and when I tested on Wed. it was already .5 again so i did another 50%.
I tested yesterday and looks like it might be .5 by today..(haven't tested yet)
I was wondering why I am only able to go 2 days now inbetween changes?
I have never seen any nitrites....i only saw nitrates of 5ppm 2 times. They are 0 again now.
Still confused and don't know if i should give up and just get the 5 gallon.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #9 
Agility4fun

I have three 2.65 tanks and they are all super healthy. I never had a nitrate test kit so I never measured that. My other readings are all perfect and my plants are doing really well. I think you should give your 2.5 a second look.

I do two 90% changes per week.
Agility4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #10 
Juditko

Sounds like it might be worth working with that 2.5 a little more if you're otherwise happy with it.
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote