Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #1 
lilyth88

Incredibly tiny white worms..?

My boyfriend noticed these itty bitty worm-like creatures inching along the glass in one of our NPTs. What are these? Are they harmful?
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #2 
Artemis

Can you get a picture? It could be pin worms, intestinal parasites or some other worm I don't know the name of.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #3 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Can you get a picture? It could be pin worms, intestinal parasites or some other worm I don't know the name of.
They are too small to get a picture of. They are super tiny, and white, and just inch along the glass of the tank.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

They are probably just detritus worms or something similar. Most of the near microscopic worms and things you see in tanks (particularly planted tanks) are harmless.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #5 
Otterfun

My Curios Grace eats them like candies, they are fine, it means you either have a lot of food left over or have not vacuum for a while.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

+1 with otterfun.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #7 
lilyth88

Hard to vaccuum as I have sand and soil....

I just kind of let things fall where they may. I have 4 Amano Shrimp in with Chronos and 5 in with Echo. They each just received a Nerite Snail today.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #8 
CrazyDiamond

I also have a pretty bad detritus worm infestation, it sucks when they are the first thing you notice rather than your fish or beautiful plants. I currently have gravel but I have been battling these worms for so long now I am switching to all natural tomorrow, completely draining and cleaning everything in the process. But yes it is caused by over feeding, especially with carnivorous fish even their feces is high in protein and causes outbreaks :/
CrazyDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

I find if you also have a lot of organic matter such as decaying leaves in your tank, they also seem to become very prevalent.

Because of how I set my tanks up, I get a ton of worms and copepods. I don't overfeed my bettas, but there is a lot of decaying organic matter and I think this seems to encourage a growth in their numbers.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #10 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I find if you also have a lot of organic matter such as decaying leaves in your tank, they also seem to become very prevalent.

Because of how I set my tanks up, I get a ton of worms and copepods. I don't overfeed my bettas, but there is a lot of decaying organic matter and I think this seems to encourage a growth in their numbers.
There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of decaying matter other than the shrimp moltings. I only noticed them in Chronos' tank. I feed him 2 pellets in the morning and 2 at night and he eats them right away, so it can't be over feeding. I wouldn't have noticed them if my boyfriend hadn't pointed them out. I'm not too concerned about them if they don't hurt anything.