Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2013, 05:23 PM   #1 
Xaltd1

$1 Otos @ PetSmart!!!

I went to PetSmart yesterday & discovered that the otocelifer catfish were on sale for $1! (1/2 price.) I ADORE these guys. I bought 12 (I had 2 already) for my girls' 29 gallon. The fish are TINY! Neon tetra size. They are amazing algea eaters. I bought 5 for a 2.5 gal w/ a bad green algae problem. The little guys hd the tank sparkling within 3 days. The problem is that these are extremely delicate fish. They are wild-caught in rivers, and prefer cool, soft water with a good current. I lost 3 fish in 4 days. That being said, the 2 remaining are awesome- I looked them up on the web, and they can live 6-9 years in "classic" tropical tank temps if they're healthy. I expected to find a few dead otos this morning, but all are doing well. I did take almost 12 hours to adjust thier bag water to the temp & Ph of the tank; I think this helped. I'm sure I'll lose a few, but that's why I bought so many.

They are chowing down on the algae in the tank & the driftwood. The bettas aren't intimidated by them, but they enjoy a good chase! No betta can outswim the otos, so the otos don't take them very seriously!
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:57 PM   #2 
registereduser

Do you mean otocinclus? I love them, have 2. $1 is an amazing price!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:13 PM   #3 
Xaltd1

Yes; I can't remember the spelling between the otos and the ocef... whatever, I have 4 of the latter.

I just did a head count, and I can see 12 at a time. Since there's some of the tank I can't see (behind the driftwood & plants) I assume they are all OK. Apparently they often starve to death in fish stores b/c there's no algae. The have to be in an established tanks. These guys must be starved- they're eating like there's no tomorrow! I wonder if they can overeat them selves to death? I had one pass that had a very swollen belly. I'm guessing my bettas would eat a dead oto quickly, unless they have barbs-
Old 03-31-2013, 06:14 PM   #4 
Xaltd1

P. S. I love Anderson Cooper! How stunning!!!!
Old 03-31-2013, 06:20 PM   #5 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaltd1 View Post
P. S. I love Anderson Cooper! How stunning!!!!
Thanks! A Petco find
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:21 PM   #6 
Xaltd1

I try not to look at the males @ petco/smart; I don't have room for more (actually I do, but I don't want another tank to take care of). They are getting better & better fish. I was in Petco buying a replacement bulb when I saw an entire shipment of bettas come in. I went to the fish-manager-guy and told him that I was a betta addict and that under NO circumstances was he to let me leave that store with another! He totally understood b/c the people who work there have tanks & temptation everyday! Like working in a candy store. I peeked at the boys, then got out b/f I fell in love.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:56 PM   #7 
Elsewhere

I had Otos for a while, and "swollen bellies" means QT as fast as possible- it's a disease that I never managed to classify. Of course, if it's a healthy swell that means "OM NOM NOM DIS IS GUD", like a small little regular size swell, it's fine, but even a little over that can wipe out your whole tank. It sucks. I wish you the best with your little guys, they're so entertaining! I wish I could get more, but my last experience... I just can't :/
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:23 PM   #8 
Xaltd1

This one was dead by the time I noticed it's belly. It's really hard to know a nom-nom-belly vs. bloat belly when you've never had experience w/ the fish. According to the web, they're supposed to have a little belly. I wonder if they CAN eat themselves to death? Bettas can. I know where you come from; I originally had a shoal of albino cory cas. Something asymptomatic wiped them all out in 24 hrs. I'll never get over that. As for my oto, if I had noticed, I'd have QT'd the poor little thing :0(
These fish aren't popular enough for them to have a disease analysis board for them. Couple that w/ a $1 price tag & they're almost considered disposable fish.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:38 PM   #9 
xShainax

I lost 3 to bloat and one to dropsy
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:44 PM   #10 
InfiniteGlory

i have been thinking about getting some oto's too. Since this price is hard to pass up how many would you think I would need for a 4 gallon planted tank?
InfiniteGlory is offline   Reply With Quote