Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2013, 08:46 PM   #11 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteGlory View Post
i have been thinking about getting some oto's too. Since this price is hard to pass up how many would you think I would need for a 4 gallon planted tank?
just one for 4 gallons but they like to school so more is recommended
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:01 PM   #12 
GhostFeather

Man,I drove right past Petsmart yesterday!!!!!
Bill
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:05 PM   #13 
InfiniteGlory

I was thinking one due to the size of my tank. I did read that they like to school but I feel with the one betta and snails that 1 would be a good start.
InfiniteGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:15 PM   #14 
Xaltd1

It depends on your algae. I really needed help w/ the algae on my real plants; anything else, you can wipe off. I read somewhere that you "need" 2 per gallon, but they're so tiny & seem to like being with each other- I'd try 5-6.
I'm amazed all 14 of mine are present and accounted for! And eating like crazy!
I also read that they can die from getting caught in the nets we use; I got & used a shrimp net for them. I've also learned that they need driftwood to nibble on.
This is just from me scouring the 'net. I don't know how much is fact or fiction. They are all over my driftwood!
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:31 PM   #15 
InfiniteGlory

i get brown algae breakouts ever now and then, but mostly it's my fault because I missed a WC. but it also seems that my snails can't keep up with the cleaning. so I am thinking 2 should be enough.

no driftwood at this moment :(
Old 04-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #16 
Elsewhere

You really shouldn't have Otos in anything less than a 10g ABSOLUTE MINIMUM. They are much more active than people think, and they go through that brown algae in about four days. Mine wouldn't switch over to algae pellets and I had to continuously feed them zucchini, which sucked. They need a lot more room to swim than you think, trust me.
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #17 
InfiniteGlory

so even one wouldn't be a good fit for my 4 gallon?
Old 04-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #18 
Xaltd1

These fish are amazing!!!
My glass looks like it was cleaned w/ Windex from the inside, even the dark spots of algae!!!
Now, they're working on the driftwood & plants. I WISH they'd get around to the gravel (I was going to replace the gravel, but we'll see if it's not too rough). They cleaned the glass while the bettas (and I) were sleeping; the girls don't like their view obstructed by a little fish, so they butt them off.
I have a plastic net around the filter intake to keep it from jamming w/duckweed. It's covered w/ the brown algae. I was just going to replace the net, but now it will be food! I can put another net on the filter, & drop the old one in the aquarium for a snack. Hopefully, more algae will grow on the new net & I'll have food for the otos. They DO have a lot of plant cleaning to do.
Now I'm worried that I WON'T have algae. I'll have to start experimentingw/ algae wafers. Maybe there's one kind they like. I usually have frozen veggies, maybe I can concoct little, microwavable mixes for them. I'm thinking that it would be a good idea to start supplementing the otos w/ shredded, boiled carrot & spinach now.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #19 
Xaltd1

I read that otos "need" driftwood. At Petco, they sell waterlogged pieces w/ plants attached. I have one of those, and I boiled some dead wood from outside that grew algae very quickly. They like that "wild caught" wood better than the Petco wood, but they're all over both pieces.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #20 
Elsewhere

@Infinate Glory: No, sadly. Not even one little guy.
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote