Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2013, 07:08 PM   #1 
Elsewhere

Talking Sorority

Another thread from Elsewhere! In case anyone actually reads my Journal, I have been leaning closer and closer in the last few days to a sorority in the tank, not that it was outright said XD

Anyways, I currently have a heated, filtered 30g and I am planning on planting it and letting the plants grow out within the next 4-6 weeks. I have been reading about sororities like crazy, and I just have a few questions for you guys:

Can I put in about 5 Albino Cories with the girls?
What kind of plants should I get?
I was thinking 8-10 girls, is that a good number?
I currently have two girls in divided tanks with some boys, will they do fine in the sorority?
Can I add, say, five girls at one time, then three, then two, or however many depending on the number I go for? Would I have to completely redesign the tank? I currently have 3 QT tanks, a 5g, a 2.5g and a .5g, with my two current girls in their divided tanks.
Will they kill snails? I was going to be adding some, but I can just veto that idea if it will cause problems.
Can the Bettas get along with a school of Barbs? That would probably overstock the tank, but I'm just curious.
How many hiding places should there be?
What kind of plants that can be purchased at PetSmart are considered "floating plants"?

Thank you so much to all who respond! If you guys think that this is just a horrible idea, please let me know; I'm still a couple months away from purchasing my fish and I'm just planning everything now!

What is currently in the tank:
One Water Wisteria
One Greek Pavilion
One fake log
One Greek Vase type thing
One bubbler
An Aqueon Quiet Flow 30 Aquarium Power Filter
A Fluval Submersible Glass Aquarium Heater, 100 WATTS (heats the tank great!)
Many pounds of black gravel

Are these products acceptable as equipment? I will buy more vases and caves and such at a later date.
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:53 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsewhere View Post
Another thread from Elsewhere! In case anyone actually reads my Journal, I have been leaning closer and closer in the last few days to a sorority in the tank, not that it was outright said XD

Anyways, I currently have a heated, filtered 30g and I am planning on planting it and letting the plants grow out within the next 4-6 weeks. I have been reading about sororities like crazy, and I just have a few questions for you guys:

Relax, sororities IME haven't been that difficult. It's either that or I've been lucky. But let's just say that they most of the time people have had little trouble, stress will do great numbers on your mind.

Can I put in about 5 Albino Cories with the girls? - Sure I have them, too!
What kind of plants should I get? - Anubias, crypts, java moss and fern, swords, duckweed, frogbit, anarachis, just to name a few. :)
I was thinking 8-10 girls, is that a good number? - Yep.
I currently have two girls in divided tanks with some boys, will they do fine in the sorority? - They'll do just fine.
Can I add, say, five girls at one time, then three, then two, or however many depending on the number I go for? Would I have to completely redesign the tank? I currently have 3 QT tanks, a 5g, a 2.5g and a .5g, with my two current girls in their divided tanks. As I said, it won't be that hard. However, you'll need 2 more QT tanks. The cups they come with are pretty good IME.
Will they kill snails? I was going to be adding some, but I can just veto that idea if it will cause problems. My girls haven't caused any harm to my inverts.
Can the Bettas get along with a school of Barbs? That would probably overstock the tank, but I'm just curious. - Which type? A small group of 6 will be fine. But it depends on the type.
How many hiding places should there be? As many as you want and can.
What kind of plants that can be purchased at PetSmart are considered "floating plants"? In the times of going into Petsmart, I haven't seen any.

Thank you so much to all who respond! If you guys think that this is just a horrible idea, please let me know; I'm still a couple months away from purchasing my fish and I'm just planning everything now!

What is currently in the tank:
One Water Wisteria
One Greek Pavilion
One fake log
One Greek Vase type thing
One bubbler
An Aqueon Quiet Flow 30 Aquarium Power Filter
A Fluval Submersible Glass Aquarium Heater, 100 WATTS (heats the tank great!)
Many pounds of black gravel

Are these products acceptable as equipment? I will buy more vases and caves and such at a later date. - The bubbler isn't needed if it's just the bettas and cories. The filter will need to be upgraded IMO if you'll add barbs. Add more plants! Cycle your tank!
Just relax and don't worry too much. It's months away and you can plan a little bit each day. Save your worrying once you actually need it. :D
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:17 PM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

An experienced sorority owner on this forum once told me that most people overthink the sorority - set it up as best you can, but the girls kind of figure it out on their own.

There are a few things to remember with a sorority, some special things that need to be done to take precaution that you wouldn't need in other tanks, like, lots of hiding spots. But I have personally seen people with hardly any hiding spots keep successful sororities. The point is, you want to higher your chances of your sorority being successful by following all the little pointers, but pretty much every thread here on sororities covers all of that.

The thing that concerns me most when people start sororities is QTing. Sororities are very, very sensitive because one sick fish can wipe out an entire tank. This means QTing of tankmates, too. Two weeks is pretty minimum, longer is better. Also, if you can, QT them in clear containers next to each other so they can see their future tankmates throughout the QT process and get used to their presence. Some people have had success just throwing the girls in without QT but I think it's a very bad idea.

The worst thing you can do is be inpatient and being patient is the hardest part! I started my sorority planning in the middle of December and I am releasing my girls tomorrow, lol. I have done a LOT of extensive planning and I realllyyyyyyy really hope it pays off!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:52 PM   #4 
Elsewhere

@LTB: Thank you for responding! Deep breathing right now :P I think for the other two QT tanks I'll go with floating the girls in one of my heated tanks in a cup or possibly keeping them in my kitchen (it's 76 degrees in there usually, it's crazy) in little containers we have that are probably .5g. I was thinking Rosy Barbs, but if I have to get a different filter they might just be out. I was thinking myself that the bubbler was a little much in there, but I may have to keep it; my mum really likes the bubbles coming out of the Pavilion and keeping her happy is currently my main priority ;) I'm adding more plants anytime from tomorrow to next Sunday, 4-6 plants per trip to the store! I don't have anything to save for right now besides University, but I'm only 14, so it's a long ways away! :D I did my first WC today, but will be doing them daily now and testing like mad to see if things remain normal... Gonna have to read up on my cycling, I've always had plants and I was told they cycled naturally. Is that true?

@ACJ: That's actually some really good advice :D Would you say that 16 days on QTing is decent? It's a little over two weeks and how long a friend of mine QTs her fish for. And yes, being patient is very, very hard! I have actually grown so tired of seeing the tank empty in the last few days that I added two plants XD
Then again, I waited and saved my money for two and a half years to go on a trip, so I think I can wait two and a half months :P Good luck with your sorority, I hope everything goes well!
Old 03-31-2013, 09:00 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsewhere View Post
@LTB: Thank you for responding! Deep breathing right now :P I think for the other two QT tanks I'll go with floating the girls in one of my heated tanks in a cup or possibly keeping them in my kitchen (it's 76 degrees in there usually, it's crazy) in little containers we have that are probably .5g. I was thinking Rosy Barbs, but if I have to get a different filter they might just be out. I was thinking myself that the bubbler was a little much in there, but I may have to keep it; my mum really likes the bubbles coming out of the Pavilion and keeping her happy is currently my main priority ;) I'm adding more plants anytime from tomorrow to next Sunday, 4-6 plants per trip to the store! I don't have anything to save for right now besides University, but I'm only 14, so it's a long ways away! :D I did my first WC today, but will be doing them daily now and testing like mad to see if things remain normal... Gonna have to read up on my cycling, I've always had plants and I was told they cycled naturally. Is that true?
As for QT, that's perfectly fine! Rosy barbs like the low tropics at the 75F and below range... Not sure if that's good for your betta! And I completely understand. I'm actually 11 and my parents don't get me supplies that I don't really need like live plants or surplus of food. ^^" Plants suck up ammonia and nitrate, but if there's an abundance of plants like in a NPT, they should suck up all the ammonia and other toxic chemicals without a problem.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:14 PM   #6 
Elsewhere

YOU are 11?!?! That's crazy, I would have expected you to be so much older- you're so... What's the word? Wise! That's it :P Wow! I am seriously impressed! Now I can tell my mum that it's normal to love fish when "you're only 14" XD Ah, stupid PetSmart info; I was going to do further research when I heard back, it said 79 on the PetSmart website -_- And how do you feel about babysitting? I started around 11, and so far it gets me anywhere from 50-200 bucks a week, plus a summer job. Plenty for fish supplies, so my mother has no say >:D
Old 03-31-2013, 09:15 PM   #7 
AyalaCookiejar

For my sorority, I opted for live plants and a filter. But cycling my filter was proving to not be working out after trying for two months so I got live plants as well, but I do not have an NPT so I am using both.

A sorority needs pristine water conditions and I would NOT set one up without having a cycled tank or an NPT. I used pure ammonia to do a fishless cycle on my filter and also got some live plants. I don't have many right now but I have a small variety and they will eventually multiply and fill out the tank - until then, daily water testing will be done and I have silk plants to provide cover until I get more live plants. I also have my filter, of course.

I got VitaChem to add to the water to boosts the girls' immune systems and prevent disease. Plenty of cover in the form of silk and live plants... High quality food, a set up of six different one gallon QT tanks all set inside the ten gallon for warmth that are clear so all six girls can see each other at any one time. A variety of foods of the best quality I could get, and additionally, all the girls are pretty young and came from breeders, NOT pet stores, which means they've been in good conditions and they have also already been in very large sororities so they should be pretty used to being around other girls.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:18 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Why thank you. :) Enough of me, this thread focuses on your sorority. However, it's always smart to research before going into something that involves live creatures. I never trust Petsmart, employees say bettas live in puddles. I look in at TFK's fish profiles for info. And truth is, I never babysat in my entire life.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:21 PM   #9 
Fishy Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
An experienced sorority owner on this forum once told me that most people overthink the sorority - set it up as best you can, but the girls kind of figure it out on their own.

There are a few things to remember with a sorority, some special things that need to be done to take precaution that you wouldn't need in other tanks, like, lots of hiding spots. But I have personally seen people with hardly any hiding spots keep successful sororities. The point is, you want to higher your chances of your sorority being successful by following all the little pointers, but pretty much every thread here on sororities covers all of that.

The thing that concerns me most when people start sororities is QTing. Sororities are very, very sensitive because one sick fish can wipe out an entire tank. This means QTing of tankmates, too. Two weeks is pretty minimum, longer is better. Also, if you can, QT them in clear containers next to each other so they can see their future tankmates throughout the QT process and get used to their presence. Some people have had success just throwing the girls in without QT but I think it's a very bad idea.

The worst thing you can do is be inpatient and being patient is the hardest part! I started my sorority planning in the middle of December and I am releasing my girls tomorrow, lol. I have done a LOT of extensive planning and I realllyyyyyyy really hope it pays off!
The bold part sums it up perfectly!

Ayala & Lebron pretty much covered everything I would have posted. The qt part is important for disease reasons, but it also serves as a one on one time to get to know your new girls & condition them to respond to you. After the girls are released they will already know to come to the surface when you approach the tank & you can spend time interacting with all of them. The time they spend interacting with you is a major distraction from any aggression or territorial issues.

I love my male betta (he's a drama queen, lol), but my girls are like little puppies excited to see me when I walk towards their tank. If I'm doing something near their tank they all stalk me jumping over each to see what I'm doing.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:26 PM   #10 
Elsewhere

I won't be buying anything from PetSmart besides live plants; the Cories will come from PaulMac's Pet Store and the Bettas from Global Pet Foods, Aquabid or a breeder, IF I can find one... I live a few hours from Toronto, and I've heard of breeders there, but no where else... Plus, the Bettas I've gotten from PaulMac's and GPF have always been healthier than ever and never caused me a problem... What exactly is the definition of a NPT? Because I could have anywhere from 22-30 live plants in my tank by the time it's done... Would I still need to cycle, or would that be enough of a natural cycle? I only have gravel, no substrate or anything.