Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2013, 10:11 PM   #1 
GaryJ73167

Something is wrong :(

Hello all.

I have only had my Betta for about 3 weeks. Today, i did a 25% water change. Treated the water with Tetra Beta Safe.

I did the water change about 5 hours. ago. for the first 3 or 4 hours, he was fine, but, for the past hour, he is swimming at the top of the water in 1 corner of the tank. This is unlike him. he is usually swimming all around his tank and in and out of his hut.

Below are some details. Can someone please help?

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 Gal
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? YEs
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Blood Worms, new Line spectrum
How often do you feed your betta fish? once daily sometimes skipping a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? i will do it weekly. it is early yet
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Accu-Clear

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

(Havent tested. but, a local store has this kit. Please advise if I should rush out right now and get it because i will

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? none that i can see
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Swimming at top of tank and slow
When did you start noticing the symptoms? an hour ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? 4 months? 6 months? not sure. he is average size.
GaryJ73167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:28 PM   #2 
GaryJ73167

Now I am really getting nervous.

he is swimming at the top and appears to be losing balance, floating on his side, but, he keeps catching himself and straightening out. Something is definitely wrong.

here are some pics. Does he look bloated? i tried to get these pics as clear as possible
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2013, 10:36 PM   #3 
alwaysaBettaLover

When My betta was bloated he was belly surfing and loosing balance. At first I thought he was gonna die. Man, I was crying and totally freaking out. but if he is bloated, then it's not really fatal. How much do you feed him?
alwaysaBettaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:47 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

Whenever something happens right after a water change, it makes me wonder if the issue happened due to the water change....

That said - does he look a little bloated to you? In the pictures, he appears slightly bloated. Do you know if he has pooped recently? Constipation and bloating can affect their buoyancy.

Do you have any Epsom salt? Epsom salt is good for relieving bloating and constipation, and buoyancy issues associated with this.

And do you have a small tank or container available? Something like a 1 gal tank would be ideal.... If not, you can treat him in the large tank.

Personally, this is what I would do. (There are many ways to do this, but here is one variation that works for me):
  1. Note the temperature of the tank water.
  2. Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
  3. Fill a small (approx 1 gal tank) with water at the SAME temp as his tank. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner. Add 1 teaspoon of Epsom salt to the small tank. Stir until completely dissolved.
  4. Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min.
  5. Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
  6. Let his cup float for about 10 min.
  7. If the cup starts to fill too much, remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
  8. Repeat steps 5-7, until about an hour has passed.
  9. Gently release him into the tank.
You can leave him in Epsom salt treated water until his symptoms resolve. (This can take even 10-14 days. It's not a problem to leave him in Epsom salt.)

If he has difficulty swimming to the surface for air, lower the water level so that the tank is only partially filled.

I would also cover the tank with something like plastic wrap. This increases the humidity level, making it easier for him to breathe.

If the buoyancy issues don't get better, you can increase the dosage as high as 3 teaspoons per gallon. (Remember to acclimate him slowly.)

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 03-31-2013 at 10:50 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:50 PM   #5 
GaryJ73167

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Whenever something happens right after a water change, it makes me wonder if the issue happened due to the water change....

That said - does he look a little bloated to you? In the pictures, he appears slightly bloated. Do you know if he has pooped recently? Constipation and bloating can affect their buoyancy.

Do you have any Epsom salt? Epsom salt is good for relieving bloating and constipation, and buoyancy issues associated with this.

And do you have a small tank or container available? Something like a 1 gal tank would be ideal.... If not, you can treat him in the large tank.

Personally, this is what I would do. (There are many ways to do this, but here is one variation that works for me):
  1. Note the temperature of the tank water.
  2. Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
  3. Fill a small (approx 1 gal tank) with water at the SAME temp as his tank. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner. Add 1 teaspoon of Epsom salt to the small tank. Stir until completely dissolved.
  4. Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min.
  5. Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
  6. Let his cup float for about 10 min.
  7. If the cup starts to fill too much, remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
  8. Repeat steps 5-7, until about an hour has passed.
  9. Gently release him into the tank.

You can leave him in Epsom salt treated water until his symptoms resolve.

If he has issues reaching the surface, lower the water level so that the tank is only partially filled.

I would also cover the tank with something like plastic wrap. This increases the humidity level, making it easier for him to breathe.

If the buoyancy issues don't get better, you can increase the dosage as high as 3 teaspoons per gallon.
Thank you so much for your quick reply.

i ran out and got that test kit also. here are the results (and, yes, he does look bloated and i didnt see him poop recently)

nitrite - 0
nitrate - 0
Amonia - (for some reason , the water didnt even change color on this test. i am positive i put the right amount of formula in at as i double checked)
PH - 7.6
High Range Ph - 7.4

If I dont have epsom salt, is table salt an option? do the readings above look ok ?
Old 03-31-2013, 10:54 PM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

NO... Do NOT use aquarium salt! It will make the bloating and buoyancy issues worse!

You can get Epsom salt at any grocery store or pharmacy. Look for 100% Magnesium sulfate. (No dyes, perfumes or additives.) It's commonly used to soak sprained or sore muscles. It's also used as a laxative, and relieves fluid retention. (It works for people, as well as for fish!)

-------------------

Accu-Clear.... Is it a water conditioner or a water clarifier? It's important to use a conditioner that removes/neutralizes chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals. I would check the bottle to make sure it does these things. If it doesn't, I suggest using a water conditioner instead. Chlorine and chloramines, in particular, are highly toxic to fish.

------------

Ammonia testing - make sure to shake the two bottles REALLY well. I shake them for longer than the directions recommend. Also, you need to wait five minutes for the color to develop.

Your other water readings look good. They're absolutely fine.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 03-31-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:56 PM   #7 
GaryJ73167

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Accu-Clear.... Is it a water conditioner or a water clarifier? It's important to use a conditioner that removes/neutralizes chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals.

I would check the bottle to make sure it does these things. If it doesn't, I suggest using a water conditioner instead. Chlorine and chloramines, in particular, are highly toxic to fish.
Accu Clear clears the water..

I also used Tettra Betta safe to condition the water before putting it in his tank. It sat for hours to get to room temperature before putting it in also.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:06 PM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

OK, I see you mentioned Tetra Beta Safe at the top of the form, and the Accu-Clear further down. So this is OK.

I really recommend having Epsom salt around. It does wonders for relieving any internal issues (such as constipation, bloating and buoyancy problems). It's a salt, so it doesn't go "bad." One container shouldn't cost much, and it will last forever.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:10 PM   #9 
GaryJ73167

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysaBettaLover View Post
When My betta was bloated he was belly surfing and loosing balance. At first I thought he was gonna die. Man, I was crying and totally freaking out. but if he is bloated, then it's not really fatal. How much do you feed him?
I feed him once a day, but, am VERY careful as to how much food I give him. Man, this sucks. Im sitting in my room with no tv or stereo on in silence just watching him :(
Old 03-31-2013, 11:13 PM   #10 
LittleBlueFishlets

Can you pick up Epsom salt from a supermarket or pharmacy today?

I know... I've been there.... My favorite betta became constipated and bloated. He ended up doing barrel rolls at the surface, while I freaked out.... I put him into Epsom salt. It took almost a week until he pooped. After that, the bloating went away, and his buoyancy got better.... He's fine now.