Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-31-2013, 10:16 PM   #11 
GaryJ73167
Member
 
GaryJ73167's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Can you pick up Epsom salt from a supermarket or pharmacy today?

I know... I've been there.... My favorite betta became constipated and bloated. He ended up doing barrel rolls at the surface, while I freaked out.... I put him into Epsom salt. It took almost a week until he pooped. After that, the bloating went away, and his buoyancy got better.... He's fine now.
im definitely going to try. not sure what is open right now with it being Easter Sunday at 11:15pm , but, I am going to call around.

Question - If I cant find epsom salt tonight, is this something that is fatal? I'm a nervous wreck riight now.....
GaryJ73167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:20 PM   #12 
LittleBlueFishlets
Member
 
LittleBlueFishlets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Look for a 24 hour pharmacy, such as CVS, Walgreens, etc.

If you can't get it tonight, just pick it up tomorrow. He'll be OK....

If he's having trouble swimming, can you put him into a shallow tank or container? This will allow him to reach the surface easier. If you don't have a spare heater, you can even float a small container in his tank.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:27 PM   #13 
GaryJ73167
Member
 
GaryJ73167's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Look for a 24 hour pharmacy, such as CVS, Walgreens, etc.

If you can't get it tonight, just pick it up tomorrow. He'll be OK....

If he's having trouble swimming, can you put him into a shallow tank or container? This will allow him to reach the surface easier. If you don't have a spare heater, you can even float a small container in his tank.
I dont have a fish bowl or glass 1 gallon fish tank, but, I do have the buckets that I use for his water change. So, there are no chemichals that have been used in the buckets.

As far as a spare heater, no. I dont have one :(

What I DO have in his 10 gallon tank, is, the thermometer that he likes to lay on top of. this puts him about a half inch from water level, and, a betta hammock which (to my surprise) he DOES lay on from time to time.

Will something like that work? (by the way, thank you so so much for all of these replies and all of this information you're giving me)

1 more note - He really doesent appear to have too much trouble swimming, but, he's just hanging out at the surface....
GaryJ73167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:30 PM   #14 
veggiegirl
Member
 
veggiegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Queensland, Australia
Hi there GaryJ73167

Just thought I would explain a couple of things for you.

The reason that you should never treat a fish suffering from bloat with aquarium salt is because aquarium salt actually causes the fish to absorb more fluids which causes the bloating to become even worse.

Epson salts on the other hand does help to relieve fluid retention and acts as a laxative which is precisely why it will be beneficial to a bloated betta that is suffering from a build up of fluid or from constipation.

If you have no Epson salts on hand it would be a good idea to get some as soon as possible as they are handy to have if you have fish. In the mean time you could offer your boy the insides of a pea. I usually just get a frozen pea and run it under the tap to thaw it out. I them pull the skin of the pea off and break the inside bits into betta sized mouthfuls. Some bettas love them and will greedily gulp them down while others are more fussy and won't touch them. Peas act as a mild laxative. You can also try feeding some frozen brine shrimp because they too can act as a laxative to a constipated betta.

Good luck
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:35 PM   #15 
GaryJ73167
Member
 
GaryJ73167's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl View Post
Hi there GaryJ73167

Just thought I would explain a couple of things for you.

The reason that you should never treat a fish suffering from bloat with aquarium salt is because aquarium salt actually causes the fish to absorb more fluids which causes the bloating to become even worse.

Epson salts on the other hand does help to relieve fluid retention and acts as a laxative which is precisely why it will be beneficial to a bloated betta that is suffering from a build up of fluid or from constipation.

If you have no Epson salts on hand it would be a good idea to get some as soon as possible as they are handy to have if you have fish. In the mean time you could offer your boy the insides of a pea. I usually just get a frozen pea and run it under the tap to thaw it out. I them pull the skin of the pea off and break the inside bits into betta sized mouthfuls. Some bettas love them and will greedily gulp them down while others are more fussy and won't touch them. Peas act as a mild laxative. You can also try feeding some frozen brine shrimp because they too can act as a laxative to a constipated betta.

Good luck
I dont have any frozen peas, but, i DO have frozen brine shrimp.

I didnt think (at this point) i should be feeding him anything though.

The brine shrimp will act as a laxative?
GaryJ73167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:39 PM   #16 
LittleBlueFishlets
Member
 
LittleBlueFishlets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
If he's not having trouble swimming, you don't need to put him into a shallower container. He can just stay in his big tank.

You could even add the Epsom salt directly to the big tank. It won't hurt plants, if you have them. (It's used as a fertilizer, actually.)

You could also try the pea treatment that Veggiegirl mentioned. Some people have had success with it. Others say that you should never feed peas to bettas, as it's not part of their natural diet, so they can't digest it.

(Edited to add: I started writing the reply before you posted about not having any peas. I see that you don't have them. I've never tried feeding brine shrimp to my guys, so I don't know if they'd be effective for this. Daphnia are said to have a laxative effect though.... When my guy got bloated, I just fasted him, then put him into Epsom salt.)

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 03-31-2013 at 10:43 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:46 PM   #17 
veggiegirl
Member
 
veggiegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Queensland, Australia
Well I wouldn't feed him too many brine shrimp but yes they can act as a laxative so I would try maybe giving him a couple....just not a whole big feeding of them.

I have heard that about peas too but I have used them many times and it seemed to help them so I figured it was worth a go.

Also if bettas are unable to digest peas as some people suggest I don't think it would really cause them any harm feeding them on the odd occasions that a betta may become constipated just that they may not actually gain any nutrition from eating it.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:57 PM   #18 
GaryJ73167
Member
 
GaryJ73167's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl View Post
Well I wouldn't feed him too many brine shrimp but yes they can act as a laxative so I would try maybe giving him a couple....just not a whole big feeding of them.

I have heard that about peas too but I have used them many times and it seemed to help them so I figured it was worth a go.

Also if bettas are unable to digest peas as some people suggest I don't think it would really cause them any harm feeding them on the odd occasions that a betta may become constipated just that they may not actually gain any nutrition from eating it.
Thanks again. I gave him some brine shrimp, but, very very little. Like maybe 2 drops off a toothpick. And, WOW. I never knew Betta's like them as much as they do.

Hi tried to get every single one in his mouth the best he could.

Anyway, I am going to watch now and wait.

Thanks for your help.
GaryJ73167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:06 PM   #19 
veggiegirl
Member
 
veggiegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Queensland, Australia
lol yes bettas do love their brine shrimp! Thought it was best just to give him a little, there is no guaranteeing that it will deninately work but I've found that it can help and I think it is pretty commonly known that brine shrimp act as a mild laxative so definately worth a go. Just don't be tempted to give him any more if it doesn't work the first time.....probably just continue to fast until you get some Epson salt or can offer him some pea. I really hope he is doing much better for you soon
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:09 PM   #20 
GaryJ73167
Member
 
GaryJ73167's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl View Post
lol yes bettas do love their brine shrimp! Thought it was best just to give him a little, there is no guaranteeing that it will deninately work but I've found that it can help and I think it is pretty commonly known that brine shrimp act as a mild laxative so definately worth a go. Just don't be tempted to give him any more if it doesn't work the first time.....probably just continue to fast until you get some Epson salt or can offer him some pea. I really hope he is doing much better for you soon
So, Im not sure if it is just me or not, but, since the brine shrimp, he seems to be moving around MUCH more. he is trying to swim down to his hut, he moved out of the corner of the tank, and, well, it just seemed to have perked him up quite a bit..

can it be working that quick? Or, is he looking for a brine shrimp that maybe got away to the bottom of his tank
GaryJ73167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Something is wrong... Bettanewbie60 Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 5 08-27-2012 11:57 AM
Just Wrong!! GhostFeather Betta Fish Care 16 03-03-2012 10:40 PM
What am I doing wrong? Karebear13 Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 18 02-17-2012 07:54 PM
There is definitely something wrong.. MaxGreenMDE Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 12 01-30-2012 09:37 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.