Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2013, 11:11 PM   #21 
LittleBlueFishlets

(FYI: it's Epsom salt. With a 'm'. )

Well, exercise causes the digestive system to work faster. So maybe the exercise will help speed things through his system quicker!
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:46 PM   #22 
veggiegirl

I agree, exercise is likely to help so whether or not he is feeling a bit better or even if he is just looking for more Brine shrimp it is definatly a good thing that he is moving around more

(FYI: it's Epsom salt. With a 'm'. )

Oops I knew that
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #23 
GaryJ73167

Thank you, Thank you, THANK YOU to all that helped me through this.

This morning, the little bloatness (if that's even a word) that my Betta did have appears to be gone. his stomach is nice and flat, and, he appears to be back to his old self.

When i went to the aquarium, he wasnt hovering the top any longer. He was swimming along the bottom, near his hut like he usually does, and, when he saw me, he swam to the glass looking at me looking excited :)

So, anyway, now that he (His name is "SeaGate by the way) is doing so much better, should I still not feed him for a couple of days?
GaryJ73167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #24 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

So happy he is doing so much better ! Did you say you had been giving him freeze dried bloodworms ? Those can cause bloat I have heard so I dont give them to my guy anymore although he never got bloated on them. I think it would be okay to give him a couple of pellets today and see how he does.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #25 
GaryJ73167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
So happy he is doing so much better ! Did you say you had been giving him freeze dried bloodworms ? Those can cause bloat I have heard so I dont give them to my guy anymore although he never got bloated on them. I think it would be okay to give him a couple of pellets today and see how he does.
Thank you :)

So, what I am thinking of doing, is, rather than give him a few pellets to see how he does, being the brine shrimp worked as a mild laxitive, do you think it would be ok if I gave him a few more of those? Just to finish cleaning his system a bit.

Let me know what you think please

:)
Old 04-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #26 
GaryJ73167

All seems well on this end. Here is a small video clip of the little guy acting himself again

http://youtu.be/Rw2zyfGRGWE
Old 04-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #27 
LittleBlueFishlets

Aw, he's so cute! Glad he's better!
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #28 
veggiegirl

I am so glad to hear that your boy is happy again Yes I would just give him maybe brineshrimp today and then a mixture of brine shrimp and pellets tomorrow. After that he should be fine to eat his normal pellets as per usual....just be sure never to overdo the pellets because too many at once is a common cause of bloat.

I lost one of my beautiful bettas a few weeks back, I accidentally poured too many pellets into his tank and he got constipated and died. I tried everything but the poor guy did not pull through. I was devistated as he was only about 9 months old

Since then my bettas are on a diet compared to what I used to feed them, they get about half of what they used to get fed. I also have began feeding frozen foods once or twice a week to prevent constipation and bloat. The days that they get the frozen food they do not get any pellets.

I really am so happy for you and SeaGate I hope you have no more worries in the future
Old 04-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #29 
GaryJ73167

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl View Post
I am so glad to hear that your boy is happy again Yes I would just give him maybe brineshrimp today and then a mixture of brine shrimp and pellets tomorrow. After that he should be fine to eat his normal pellets as per usual....just be sure never to overdo the pellets because too many at once is a common cause of bloat.

I lost one of my beautiful bettas a few weeks back, I accidentally poured too many pellets into his tank and he got constipated and died. I tried everything but the poor guy did not pull through. I was devistated as he was only about 9 months old

Since then my bettas are on a diet compared to what I used to feed them, they get about half of what they used to get fed. I also have began feeding frozen foods once or twice a week to prevent constipation and bloat. The days that they get the frozen food they do not get any pellets.

I really am so happy for you and SeaGate I hope you have no more worries in the future
Wow. I am so sorry to hear that :(

You have been very kind and helpful. Thank you.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #30 
veggiegirl

Yeah I was really upset, his name was Eclipse, I included a photo of him (not the best picture I have but the only one that I have uploaded it was taken the day I bought him) . I am just glad that your boy is better, I guess I learned something from Eclipse and I was glad that I could help you and SeaGate

Name:  DSCF1881copy.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  66.6 KB