Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2013, 09:24 PM   #1 
TianTian

Red face Of bettas, goldfish and filters.

Yo, bettafish! TianTian, here. Last September I posted that I was back for good. And then I disappeared.

Anyway, a LOT OF THINGS have befallen Choi Oppa (the betta) and many things have changed for me. Let's review. Pics below!!

THE BAD:

-The ghost shrimp babies didn't make it. They ended up dying of unknown causes.
- Against my advice, Choi Oppa got a roomate: a goldfish. Granted, the tank was a "community tank", according to the family. My opinion was not heeded. The goldfish started out as this tiny $0.20 thing... and now he's at least 3.5 times the size of Choi Oppa. Turns out he's part goldfish, part koi, literally. So he's going to just keep. getting. bigger. And hungrier.
-The heater in the tank broke. And due to finances, was never replaced.
-One member of the family finally "fixed" the filter. And the filter nearly was the end of Choi Oppa, as he repeatedly got sucked into the intake.
-Choi Oppa, due to the stresses and the messy water the goldfish made, got ich. Bad ich. He was at least properly quarantined and medicated, but it made him listless and lethargic.

BUT THEN GOOD THINGS HAPPENED!!

-So I finally found work! I've been unemployed for a year but I have income coming in, now!! Whoooo!
-Because I had work, I moved into my own apartment at last!!
-I've been wanting a fishtank of my own for forever, so I bought an AGA 2.5 gallon tank for my desk. I put anacharsis, a grass plant and a clump of carpet java moss with some rocks (pic below!!!). I expected to do a small planted shrimp tank, nothing more. I figured the betta would be dead in a week.
-But, upon hearing that I was moving out, I ended up with Choi Oppa in my tank. Literally. My family came over to my house and plopped him into my tank (granted, I told them I'd be willing to take him... I mean, knowing the fish's history, wouldn't you?!)

*sigh*

But, he's in a better home with me. He hasn't eaten for two days, so I'm keeping an eye on him. He did, however, have a nice, healthy bowel movement last night, so I'm hoping his appetite will come back soon.

PICTURE TIME! Please let me know what you think of the tank setup; I tried going for a natural look:

Again, his tail is a mess and hopefully it'll heal. Despite my tank cycling with the plants, he is surprisingly active and has been swimming in and out of the plants.

He attempted building a bubble nest today (I laid on my bed and just watched him zip all over his tank, gulping air and blowing some HUGE bubbles, haha!). I think he's still a bit bruised from the big ol' goldfish, because he takes to sleeping a lot. Just now he went back behind his rock to sleep, whereas just a minute ago, he was watching me and zipping around... and now he's on the move again, wiggling through the anacharsis; he loves it, apparently.

Anyway, we're doing fine. This next paycheck I'll be investing in a light for the plants. And possibly a bubbler to provide some water movement.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Ask away!
TianTian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:23 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

Hi

Maybe go with a small sponge filter instead of an airstone? you would still get some water movement from the bubbles and it will help with the mechanical filtration. Not sure it would be able to cycle the tank though since its under 5 gallons. You can get a cheap one on ebay but you also need the airline tube and an air pump - none of it should be too much $. you could actually get the pump and short tubing from the hawkeye 1 gallon tank that walmart has for about $10

If he just has torn fins and its not from fin rot, try some stress coat to help them regrow or krodon's fish protector
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #3 
TianTian

Thanks for the tips! I appreciate them!

And yeah, it's definitely not fin rot; his fins look like that from the filter in the other house (I peeled him off the filter intake myself).

This morning he ate (finally!!) and he's officially started a bubble nest! Yay!
Old 04-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #4 
waterdog

I have a fully cycled 2.5 gallon bowfront on my office desk. Sponge filters really work great for this size. Click the link in my signature for all the info.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #5 
TianTian

Interesting! I've never tried one before, so I will have to give it some more thought and research; thank you!