Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2013, 11:22 PM   #1 
majesticstorm

Angry will they recover?

So I went back home for spring break for a week. I decided not to take my fishes home, and just have them go without food for a week so no ammonia builds up. Left them with their heaters running. Came back to see both of my boys lying on the bottom of their tanks to 60F water. Some bozo unplugged the heaters even though our dorms allow us to keep things plugged in to keep aquariums running. They're currently back in warm waters and have been fed, but don't look too great. Will they be ok? Anything else I can do for them?
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:32 PM   #2 
bettafishgirl

I think they will be okay, but there's not much you can do more. Perhaps there just getting back in shift to the regular schedule
bettafishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:40 PM   #3 
majesticstorm

Thank you. I hope that's what they're doing.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:58 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

If it was because they were cold, they should recover. When I moved out of Alaska last winter - I found most of my bettas were dead due to the extreme cold (it was -60 outside and 40 in the backseat). The ones I found that were still alive but barely - all survived after being relocated to the front seat with me and being put infront of the airvent under layers of clothing.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #5 
Alcemistnv

I'm so sorry about that! D:
The RAs arent allowed in our rooms during breaks, but we found out they had entered our rooms during winter break and no one was happy about that. I do know that we had a campus power outage (there was an email sent out) and i freaked thinking that my fish were going to die because the filter would be off (I have 2 otos and 2 bettas in the tank).

I came back to all my 7 of my fish alive, albeit with tail biting and ammonia burns :/

But yours should definitely make it, don't worry c:
so long as you didnt shock them I don't see how they wont make it
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #6 
majesticstorm

Thanks. They both were healthy when I left. Well, Rain has a very persistent fin rot, but that was it. So far, Rain seems to be getting better. However, my other boy who I believe to be one of those "has not faced any hardship besides being shipped in a heated box" fish isn't doing so well. He's not very clamped, per-say, but he's at the bottom of the tank, going up for air occasionally. He seems to have some swimming issues, atm.

Our RA(s) come into our room to inspect that everything is ok (things are unplugged minus things needed to keep aqariums running, windows closed), and it's just a bit irking that they unplugged their heaters. Some things are plugged in for a reason, it doesn't take you a minute to see where the cords lead to.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #7 
jadaBlu

Maybe you should put the one having problems in a shallower tank-Sterilite clear plastic shoe boxes work well (Bigg lots if you have them) Then it will be easier to surface.
jadaBlu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #8 
majesticstorm

Thanks jadaBlu, I did that this morning when I came back from class. He's now in a hospital tank :) Also added some IAL.