Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2013, 10:52 PM   #1 
Naladari

Skiddish/scared betta

He's always been like this, tonight he was acting strange. Sleeping at the surface instead of resting on a plant or on the bottom. He seems to be afraid of everything. It started with my finger. Then a bamboo shrimp now 3 itty bitty corydoras. He is esp afraid of that bamboo shrimp.

Anyways I caught him what looked like rubbing against the driftwood in my tank. When he got up to the top where the shrimp was sitting he freaked and quickly swam away. Being as paranoid as I am I pulled out my flashlight and proceeded to check him for velvet. Nothing... At least I don't think there was any velvet on him. Still paranoid I checked the shrimp Cory's and snails. The. I checked google for. Velvet on Cory's, no velvet okay so I'm not worried about that. Today I had picked up an ammonia alert, it is still yellow so my ammonia is still below .02 everything with the water conditions are normal. Tank temperature is 80, okay high for the Cory's good for betta and bamboo shrimp still normal as my tank temp fluctuates between 75-80 it's around 75-77 but there is less water now so the heater is keeping the tank warmer. Still normal.
Earlier he flared at a Cory but when it just sat there he left it alone. Are his new tankmates stressing him? Couldn't be his fins are still open on display, and he's more colorful than ever.
Why is he so skiddish! Neve before have I had scardy betta, nor have I seen or heard of one. The tank has more hiding places than ever, the water is pristine(with tannins), I added ials yesterday, no one is fighting, enough food for everyone (there's even a bamboo shrimp moly for the Cory's an extra treat).
I just don't get it! It's so frustrating.
Naladari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:52 PM   #2 
quietlythundering

Hmm...this does sound odd.
Might I suggest that it may be stuff out side of the tank that's making him skittish? Like a bright light, or some other pet (cat?) that harasses him, or even swinging doors?
Perhaps he would be happier in a smaller tank, preferably one that is room-mate free? Then again, it could just be his disposition. how long have you had him?
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:23 AM   #3 
Naladari

About 10 days now, he was skiddish when he was alone as well.
This is the first time somone has recommended a smaller tank lol.
No cats plenty of plants to hide in yet he never hides, seldom any rapid movement outside the tank... It does make me think though... It's a long shot but when I was 16 I saw a ghost in my room, like a full bodied apparition. She was standing diagonal to where my fishtank was now would be about a foot away. Maybe that has something to do with it, because betta react to human interaction more than other fish...
Meh that wouldn't make any sense whatsoever though I mean what scared me once when I was 16 couldn't be harassing my fish 6 years later. Plus I only saw it one. It may be a scarring memory but I still write it off.
I assume it's just his deposition, maybe he'll grow out of it.

Last edited by Naladari; 04-01-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:05 AM   #4 
quietlythundering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naladari View Post
About 10 days now, he was skiddish when he was alone as well.
This is the first time somone has recommended a smaller tank lol.
No cats plenty of plants to hide in yet he never hides, seldom any rapid movement outside the tank... It does make me think though... It's a long shot but when I was 16 I saw a ghost in my room, like a full bodied apparition. She was standing diagonal to where my fishtank was now would be about a foot away. Maybe that has something to do with it, because betta react to human interaction more than other fish...
Meh that wouldn't make any sense whatsoever though I mean what scared me once when I was 16 couldn't be harassing my fish 6 years later. Plus I only saw it one. It may be a scarring memory but I still write it off.
I assume it's just his deposition, maybe he'll grow out of it.

Lol, well, how big is the tank he's in right now? Not sure why, I just internally assumed he was in a 5+ gallon, and I've heard some people note that their bettas tend to freak out when they move them into bigger spaces. A ghost? I'm not sure about that, but who knows. I've jokingly dealt with something that may or may not be in my room(or, subsequently, in the apartment I live in, but if you want to know the story, then I can PM it to you if you want.) If he is just a plain old nervous nancy, then don't worry. He could just be a little wigged out about his new environment, and yes, even his new tank mates. Perhaps their personalities are a bit strong for your possibly pre-disposed nervous fishy friend?.
And you're sure his health absolutely checks out? Sometimes, this kind of behavior can be a sign of ill health, however, I believe a moderator could be of more assistance on this subject than I.

Last edited by quietlythundering; 04-01-2013 at 02:09 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #5 
Naladari

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietlythundering View Post
Lol, well, how big is the tank he's in right now? Not sure why, I just internally assumed he was in a 5+ gallon, and I've heard some people note that their bettas tend to freak out when they move them into bigger spaces. A ghost? I'm not sure about that, but who knows. I've jokingly dealt with something that may or may not be in my room(or, subsequently, in the apartment I live in, but if you want to know the story, then I can PM it to you if you want.) If he is just a plain old nervous nancy, then don't worry. He could just be a little wigged out about his new environment, and yes, even his new tank mates. Perhaps their personalities are a bit strong for your possibly pre-disposed nervous fishy friend?.
And you're sure his health absolutely checks out? Sometimes, this kind of behavior can be a sign of ill health, however, I believe a moderator could be of more assistance on this subject than I.
Maybe. I feel hes just that, a nervous nancy. He's also bloated now >.>. He found the shrimp molt.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #6 
quietlythundering

Oh no! If he's been eating that, then you really might want to qt him, in order to treat him and keep him from the molt :P
Old 04-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #7 
Naladari

I heard its good for them to eat the molt. Lots of protein and calcium plus it's still fresh. He didn't eat all of it, the shrimp is the biggest thing in there at about 3-4 inches. I underfed the cories today hoping they will finish it off.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #8 
Otterfun

Could he have ick?
Also, Bamboo Shrimp scares me and I am not surprised if it might have scared him.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #9 
Naladari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
Could he have ick?
Also, Bamboo Shrimp scares me and I am not surprised if it might have scared him.
No there is literally nothing wrong with him or anyone in there. Only stomach bloating, but he was over fed this weekend and might have been munching on the molt. Unless I caught it super early with a flashlight he doesnt have velvet.
No clamped fins.
The behavior I saw last night could be attributed to him being woken up at 2 am when I was watching the shrimp.
My tank is at 80 degrees or was last night before I turned it to about 77 this morning for the other tank mates.
If there are parasites in the tank I have no idea how to treat them without killing my inverts.
His immune system should be great because I have been adding stress coat+ and IALs (only 2 ials stress coat for the new guys)
I DID add a half dose of plant ferts and he did swim right up to it and through it in curiosity so he might have had a reaction to that.
No signs of ICK, Flukes, Fin Rot, any sort of fungal or false fungal infections.
Water is pristine. Ammonia alert reading yellow, liquid ammonia test reading yellow, no ammonia burns.
This morning he was still active, so were 2/3 of the corys (im upset cause 2 paired and left the 3rd to fend for himself active but not as active)
As far as I know there is nothing wrong.
I wish there was a way to make him warm up to people more. Who knows though, maybe he was abused in the store at one point.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #10 
sainthogan

My male is pretty afraid of everything as well, and it literally takes him weeks to get used to any changes I've made. He runs and hides or plays dead whenever he sees his reflection or his neighbor in the tank next to him. If I put the lid back down while he's eating, he'll run and hide and not finish eating. If I change around the decorations inside or outside his tank, he'll hide in his pineapple most of the time for weeks.
I would say that like my fish, it could just be your guy's temperament to be afraid of everything.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote