Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #21 
Esahc

When you say incandescent you mean standard bulbs right? I should have though of that! I'll stop off at lowes on the way home and return the led light I got from my LFS. They said it would be strong enough for plants but its ridiculously dim...
I think the desk lamps are actually on sale right now... I could probably get 2.
Esahc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #22 
Catie79

Yes, standard bulbs. Be sure to put a flourescent (CFL) in it's place, a standard old incandescent bulb won't do a thing. Look for daylight spectrum when you're looking for the replacement bulb, but check to make sure it's got the right temperature (6500K, though I've cheated and used 5000K in a pinch). They sell some really weird things as daylight (3000K? Really?).

Careful putting two lamps on, if you add too much light you're going to get a wild algae explosion. I've met a lot of interesting types of algae by getting too light happy. :) A lamp on either side would look cool, but you'd need to put some serious space between them and the plants.
Catie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #23 
Esahc

Got a cheap old clipon lamp at lowes and a 2pack of daylight spectrum 6500k 13w (60 equivilant?) lights, total price came out to like $17. the lamps are only like $9 and some change right now, I might go back for another one if all goes well with my returns tomorrow.
Compare to two superdim 'grow lights' from two separate sources (one of which STILL HASN'T ARRIVED ) at $27 each, I think I'm kinda done with LEDs for a bit....
On the bright side TANK SETUP IS TOMORROW!
I'm super excited. My LFS can't take returns until 3, and I don't want to make two trips, so I won't have the shrimp for the initial setup, but I don't think that's too big a deal, I still have a lot to do just organizing this rathole of a room and getting everything ready and planted. Might grab that watersprite I was looking at, too, depending on how well the plants I already have fill out the new tank, just to keep my notoriously rude LFS guys happy.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #24 
Esahc

Finally after three trips to the fish store and an hour rinsing gravel, I'm putting the plants in. But I'm having a lot of trouble getting the plants to stay in the gravel, and the water seems very very cloudy. I'm using floramax gravel that I rinsed until the water ran clear. Any ideas?

Also, I bought a piece of driftwood and was planning on letting it soak for a few days to let the tannins soak out but it's been soaking a few hours and the water hasn't changed color at all, would it be okay to go ahead and put it in? I would boil it but I don't have anything big enough.

Last edited by Esahc; 04-05-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #25 
mushumouse

i can't help with the gravel since i use sand, but if the plants aren't staying rooted you can tie them to a rock with cotton thread or string, or fishing line if you have it, then bury that. what i do with my anubias is to bury the roots and then basically weigh the area around it down with rocks so i don't have to tie anything because i'm very lazy. :p if you don't have any rocks around, it's fine to let them float for a while too.
mushumouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #26 
Catie79

Depends on what type of plant you have floating. Tying to rocks works great for anything with a rhizome. For stems, you can try letting them float until they have roots. I usually plant them right away and plan on replanting them a couple of times until they settle. Its frustrating but normal, you're not doing anything wrong. They'll stick soon.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #27 
Esahc

Stopped off at the craft store and grabbed some rocks. Waiting for some water to boil so I can sterilize them (my mother would kill me very dead with a sandal if I used one if her good pots to boil rocks for my fish, so I'm using my kettle and am just going to pour it over.) water is still very cloudy; I was hoping that it would settle while I was gone. Driftwood water is still very clear, in a somewhat annoying switchup.

Also, can floramax be saved? That is to say, if it dries out will it then be useless as a plant substrate? I'm just curious as to why it's shipped damp.

Last edited by Esahc; 04-05-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #28 
Esahc

Almost everything's planted now, went ahead and put the driftwood and stones in. Water is still pretty Morley but Internet says it should clear in a few days. I kinda like the look in the meantime.
Only one small problem....
Is it possible to over plant a tank? I think I overbought...

There's still almost all of the wisteria left.
I think the driftwood might be a bit too large. Any way for me to, like, split it? I'd saw it but I don't want that superstraight end...
Old 04-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #29 
Esahc

can't edit the original and the image didn't post for some reason... so here:
Old 04-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #30 
Catie79

I love the jungle look, so I'm the wrong one to ask about overplanting. I say there's plenty of room for more plants, but keep in mind what it's going to look like when they've filled in. You'll want it to be something you'll enjoy looking at. Don't worry about the water, just let the filter run and it will settle down.