Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Are you new to this whole betta care thing?
Yes 10 47.62%
No 11 52.38%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2008, 06:19 PM   #11 
cajunmomof4

Both my bettas are in two gallon jobbies. I use DIY sponge filters made from a fish food container. Here is the link. http://aquarticles.com/articles/mana...ge_Filter.html

They work really well. I used the clear plastic tubes from some old tanks like yours (the triangle ones) If you have the same airpump as came with mine (round and grey) those are adjustable, just twist to lower the output.

If you like I can post a picture of mine.
cajunmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:27 PM   #12 
It'sJames

I've seen those little triangular betta "tanks" for sale. I personally think that bettas need a little more swimming room. I have one of my females in a 5 gallon (my other bettas are in a 28 gallon), and she is always swimming all over the tank. I'm not saying you have to go out and buy some elaborate tank setup, but 2.5 gallons is usually considered the minimum for bettas. Plus, a slighty bigger tank means less maintanance, and allows the tank to cycle. Keeping bettas is little bowls for their entire lives is like keeping a cat locked in a cage for it's life... a cat could live in a cage, but it wouldn't be happy, or as healthy as it could be.

Two and a half gallon tanks are less than ten dollars at any pet store. Walmart sells a 5 gallon Eclipse with built in light and filter for $28. It's a nice system, and it'll last forever. I know you don't want to buy a new tank right now, but it might be a good investment later on. :D

I agree about the snail, they produce tons of waste. You'd have to do more water changes with a snail.
It'sJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:31 PM   #13 
kender42

Thanks for all the advise guys. I don't see a new tank in my future anytime soon. I'm trying to ask for as little as possible lately so that my parents will let me go to Ireland in October to see my sister have her baby. So I don't think I can ask for a new tank or really any accutramints but my dad's a model airplane guy and is good at making and fixing stuff so I might see about that filter. I figured with a subject like that I might actually get people to read and reply to my forum. Apparently I was right. :D
kender42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:25 AM   #14 
Flashygrrl

At the very least get the heater and a better filter for him. It's not fair to Mr. Betta otherwise, is it?
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:56 AM   #15 
JMeenen

I don't intend to sound mean here but this is one of my "pet" peaves..If you don't have time for pets and I strongly believe that fish ARE pets...don't get them if you can't take care of them.
JMeenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:29 AM   #16 

Tell your dad you will wash his truck or car for a month if he,ll spring for the larger tank. Tell mom you,ll help with the laundry. If you are already doing these ,Tell em you,ll report them for child abuse if they don,t. :D
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:17 AM   #17 
kender42

He's still alive isn't he? Obviously I'm taking enough care of him. I understand the pet peeve but I do take care of him just not as carefully as everyone else on this site. I'm doin' my dangest and that's all I can do. Obviously I spend time with my pets. I have many as I previously stated and I never said fish weren't pets. You drew that one out of thin air. I also believe my corgis and my gerbils are pets. (although the corgis would disagree) I love him and I do my best but I'm not exactly experienced (he's my first fish) so what more is there?
Old 04-29-2008, 11:20 AM   #18 
kender42

Did I not mention IRELAND???? As much as I love the fish I think I love my sister more. But you did make me laugh. :D :P
Old 04-29-2008, 12:46 PM   #19 
JMeenen

Like I said...If you knew you were going to IRELAND you should NOT have got a Betta ..I am sticking to my origional thought ..Sorry if I offened you but...Oh well
Old 04-29-2008, 01:14 PM   #20 
JMeenen

It just may be that you have answered your own question.....