Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2013, 05:01 AM   #1 
Goodbettabest

URGENT!!!! please help!!! I think i've killed my fish :-(

I feel so awful. I just bought a beautiful fish today to safe him from the awful pet store he was in. I put him in a temporary tank while i was setting up his new tank. He seemed fine when i put him in but now he is just laying on the bottom obviously dying. The only thing i did differently to when i bought my other fish was to use river rocks instead of the usual aquarium rocks. I thoroughly washed them first but could they be the cause? I'm so upset to think i may have killed him what can i do to try & save him?
Goodbettabest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:14 AM   #2 
mermaid77

Did you acclimate him very slowly to your water? If not and your water chem is different than that of his cup water then he may be suffering from a case of shock...
mermaid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:20 AM   #3 
Goodbettabest

Yes i floated him in the new water first to get the temp the same then i put some of the new water in the bag for about 15 mins then i released him. I freaked out when i saw him laying there dying so i took him out of the container with the river rocks and into fresh water.(treated with water conditioner of course) Luckily i live in the tropics so the tap water is the same temp as the water in the tanks. He seems to have picked up a little bit and is now swimming albeit slowly and is coming to the surface to breathe. What can i do to help him if it is shock?
Old 04-01-2013, 05:36 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

what, exactly, is he doing? any rapid gill movement?
He may just need some time to adjust. Also if his water quality was bad in the store and the ammonia was high, that may also be affecting him.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:37 AM   #5 
LillieCharlotte

probably just wait it out...in my experience, first acclimation and first water change always freaks the fish out, but they usually get over it.
LillieCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:42 AM   #6 
Goodbettabest

He was just laying on the bottom of the container, almost on his side, rapid gill movement, no response when i tried to rouse him. I switched containers now he is coming up for air and is swimming around a little, still resting on the bottom but not staying there. I have moved him to a different room & dimmed the lights
Old 04-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #7 
Somethingstoofishy

this is easy. he is probally scared. he is not used to the new enviorment. maybe he was sick. feed him and you might want to wait a whie for him to get used to his new enviorment. i have had bettas all my life... hope he gets better!
Somethingstoofishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #8 
Alcemistnv

he's simply spooked :)

My fish always do that after water changes and when they come home from the store.

My one boy who got shipped here from Washington would actually dart around the tank, hitting the walls, and would float to the bottom. Just leave him alone, don't tap the tank, don't put your hands in, etc.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #9 
Goodbettabest

Thank you so much everyone for your response. I was so stressed but he seems to be much happier today. He is still in the tiny container I moved him to but is swimming around this morning and was very happy to have something to eat. I think he will be ok. Do you think I should try moving him to his new 5g tank this afternoon or leave it another day or two? I just want to get him out of the tiny container he is in but don't want to cause him any further stress.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #10 
jadaBlu

Maybe float him in the new tank for an so he can see it. Make sure you keep close eye on him to be sure the container stays stable. I like to drip some of the new tank water in the cup over the hours to help them get used to it.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote