Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #1 
Bluelily54

Filter: What are my options?

So, I have my little 2.5 gallon and I took out the filter some time ago because it was blowing my betta around too much. I've added some java moss, hornwort, and a marimo ball to liven things up and help with the water quality, but the tank was still getting dirtier than I would like. I did an intensive cleaning yesterday (wiped down the walls, stirred and dipped to clean the substrate, etc...), and decided to stick the filter back in the tank because the water was still really messy. The water looks so much better, and I've noticed my ghost shrimp has started nibbling on the plant matter that's stuck to the pre-filter sponge.
I guess my question is, is there a way to baffle the filter a little better? I had cut up an extra pre-filter sponge and stuck pieces in the outflow but it's still creating more current than I would like. I know about the water bottle tutorial that's on this site, but I'm afraid it might be pretty bulky.
Are sponge filters terribly difficult to set up? I know they're pretty cheap, are there any other pros and cons?
Bluelily54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #2 
waterdog

Sponge filters are the easiest way to filter a tank. Also don't let anyone tell you that you can't cycle a 2.5 tank, cause I have one. You can read all about them in my article by clicking the link in my signature!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #3 
Bluelily54

Cool, I will be sure to check that out! Thanks! =]
Old 04-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #4 
bannlow2471

I think somewhere there is a post or a sticky about using a water bottle to make a filter baffle. What I did in my current five gallon was add an additional filter cartridge in front of the outflow to slow it down some and I also added some taller plants right underneath to help slow it down even more. When I first moved him into this tank, my mail veil tail did seem to be a bit disturbed by the more rapid surface water movement as compared to his previous 2.5 gallon tank, and this has made him much happier.
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #5 
happypappy

sponge filters

I have recently switched all my betta tanks (2.5 - 3 gallons) to sponge filters. They are inexpensive and doing a great job keeping the water crytal! Plus I do not have to worry about fins getting sucked into intakes!

I found my mini sponge filters on Amazon.

REALLY like these.
happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #6 
Bluelily54

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannlow2471 View Post
What I did in my current five gallon was add an additional filter cartridge in front of the outflow to slow it down some and I also added some taller plants right underneath to help slow it down even more.
That's brilliant! I'm going to try and see if my filter cartridges will work that way. If not, I may trade out for a sponge filter.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #7 
bannlow2471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelily54 View Post
That's brilliant! I'm going to try and see if my filter cartridges will work that way. If not, I may trade out for a sponge filter.
Well the plants thing I had read here. The filter thing I figured out on my own and I did think I was pretty clever and then read on here where someone else had already done it. Either way it seems to work pretty well. Good luck!
Old 04-02-2013, 01:59 AM   #8 
Blue Fish

You can also take a sponge (aquarium or car wash (you can cut these with scissors), as long as it's NOT a kitchen sponge that's "antimicrobial/antibacterial" you'll be fine) and rubberband it to the outflow, similar to the cartridge, just with a sponge, and then let the sponge hang down into the water several inches :) That'll take our flow to absolute stillness on the water surface. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #9 
bannlow2471

Great idea, Blue Fish! I may have to try that some day.