Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2013, 03:43 AM   #1 
SamJustice

Home Aquaphonics Gardens

Now, yeah, I've seen a few. mostly huge ones, but they've this one for use in the kitchen. Gods. I wonder how much it holds.
Does any one here have something similar?
Did you make your own or buy?
This one's only 60, but I'm worried about how many gallons it holds.

http://store.backtotheroots.com/Home...aquaponics.htm

EDIT:
Haha. Just answered my own question. It's a 3 gal. xD
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

It doesn't look like it can be heated, or as if there is air at the top for the betta.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #3 
mushumouse

if you go on the website, it looks like you don't have to fill it all the way to the top for it to work, and there's a hole for feeding you could probably put a heater through & leave open for more airflow. but

Quote:
There is no need to clean the water because of the plants - it's a self-cleaning fish tank!
uh...huh. well, other than that it seems like a neat idea.
mushumouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #4 
Fenghuang

I doubt the people this product is being marketed towards does the proper research. Gimmicky "no-clean" fish tanks like this present fish as some ornament someone can just prop down somewhere and forget about. Hence, no water changes--the tank cleans itself--just add food every once in a while, that sort of bs.

The manufacturer recommends bettas, but say many types of fish will work. They even added an air pumps to oxygenate the water. Oh, yay--that is just what you need for a betta that takes air from the surface. Notice how no heater is present in the picture. No hiding places or anything. Glancing at the FAQ on the product page, they state the dimensions to be 10 inch x 11 inch x 6 inch and make sure to let you know that "that is smaller than your average toaster oven!" They also point out that you that the tank is 3 gallons and since you can keep 1 inch of fish per gallon, that means you can comfortably house a 3 inch fish or a few smaller 1 inch fish. How awesome! While, I'm happy that it is at least big enough in size for a betta and not one of the sad little 1/2 gallon, I still dislike the concept.

It's just another overpriced betta container that capitalizes on people's ignorance and was never really designed with bettas in mind, but aesthetics and materialism. You would be much better off getting a brand new 5 gallon tank. It is more cost-effective at just a fraction of the price and easier to get equipment for and decorate.

Last edited by Fenghuang; 04-06-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #5 
shakeitsalome

Everything Fenghuang said!

I'd also be worried about the plants and possible contamination of the water from any fertilizers used in the pots. :/
shakeitsalome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #6 
Fenghuang

Thanks, shakeitsalome. I cannot stand companies deliberating telling people false information about the requirements of any animal to make a profit, especially while abusing a facade of authority and claiming that there is science and research behind it. By their example of an ecosystem, you know they have just about as much knowledge of how ecology works as every kid that has taken science in elementary school.

Hmm, they do have it in fine print buried in the FAQ section of adding a heater if it gets too cold, but once again, I have a sinking feeling that a lot of people will just zero in on the easy, convenient part and not bother with the rest. Same type of people who if you try to tell that that their tropical fish in a teeny bowl needs a heater and more space, they'll just tell you that their fish "looks happy" and they have been keeping it "like forever" (which totally makes them an expert on the species of fish they have and able to speak fish *sarcasm*) like that so they know it is completely fine. Sigh.

Last edited by Fenghuang; 04-06-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #7 
ollief9

I found this product a while ago on Kickstarter.. the video and description give almost no articulation on the fish's care and I really hate how the fish is conveyed as being just part of the plant fertilization cycle and nothing more than an ornament.

Most non-fishkeepers have a really bad attitude towards the welfare of captive fish - they seem to think that because fish aren't fluffy or cuddly it is perfectly fine to provide them with substandard care. I believe this product only perpetuates this attitude.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:11 AM   #8 
Blue Fish

+1 to Feng!

This is just the newest incarnation of the truly awful Betta Lilly Bowl...ugh. I was never so glad to see something go out of style. Of course, that awful bowl was what got me into bettas in the first place...but there was so much unintended neglect and SOO MUCH misinformation from those things. :(

Speaking of horrible fishkeeping, has anyone else seen the betta bowl alarm clocks and desk clocks?!? It's horrible, completely taking a living creature and making it into décor. So, so wrong. And the bowls cannot possibly be more than a 1/4 gallon. Those poor, poor fish. :(
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:03 AM   #9 
SamJustice

I like the idea.
Would like to somehow manage to turn my ten gal into something like that. Would be an awesome way to grow plants, but of course if I tried, I'd obviously test the water often and make water changes as needed.
I agree, they're treating living creatures as objects, but I like the idea, and if you're informed it's a neat little idea.
It's really just a home version of like the industrial ones, and backyard ones.
I'd like to try it simply because then my parents would so let me keep fish in the kitchen too.
"But Mom, dad's herbs grow out of them. And he needs the Herbs to make us that delicious food. So yes. I need five of them. and a betta for each. And some plants in there. The heater can go right there. Maybe a lil filter here..."
And trust me. I can decorate the oddest things. And as i tend to make my own decor (with a few exceptions before I discovered what I needed to do so) I'd have no problem having something fit.
But seriously. Might try to make my ten gallon into something similar when I've the money to buy the stuff I'd need. Can already see how it'd have to be done..
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:48 AM   #10 
Blue Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamJustice View Post
I like the idea.
Would like to somehow manage to turn my ten gal into something like that. Would be an awesome way to grow plants, but of course if I tried, I'd obviously test the water often and make water changes as needed.
I agree, they're treating living creatures as objects, but I like the idea, and if you're informed it's a neat little idea.
It's really just a home version of like the industrial ones, and backyard ones.
I'd like to try it simply because then my parents would so let me keep fish in the kitchen too.
"But Mom, dad's herbs grow out of them. And he needs the Herbs to make us that delicious food. So yes. I need five of them. and a betta for each. And some plants in there. The heater can go right there. Maybe a lil filter here..."
And trust me. I can decorate the oddest things. And as i tend to make my own decor (with a few exceptions before I discovered what I needed to do so) I'd have no problem having something fit.
But seriously. Might try to make my ten gallon into something similar when I've the money to buy the stuff I'd need. Can already see how it'd have to be done..
Oh I totally agree! I didn't mean to come across as saying this housing plants and fish was some horrific cruelty to the fish. :) Done correctly (like what you've described) it would be awesome. :) And I don't know why you couldn't filter and heat it, it would just be a matter of taking your 10 gallon and creating a tray for the top to hold the plants. And your betta would have surface water to breathe from if you put the plant tray on one side, leaving the other side open (or covered with a glass or plexi/acrylic sheet to hold humidity) for the heater and the filter. :)

Actually...what about something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Bamboo-Bathtub...5399895&sr=1-9

Just put it across the back portion of the 10 gal. You might have to figure some way to lower it slightly so that the bottom of the plants would be partially submerged like in the "prototype" you showed originally, but I don't know why it couldn't be done. :) So you've basically got your normal tank, normal happy betta, but with added plants. :)

And, I wonder if the plants would act similiarly to aquatic plants, and help absorb ammonia and other nastiness? Not sure how that works between aquatic and land plants, but maybe someone who knows more can help with that information. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote