Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #1 
Lyonfish

Talking First Betta check list?

I'm getting my first betta today! But I need help with a check list of supplies. Also what's the best way to clean a fish's tank while putting the least amount of stress on them?
Lyonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #2 
Fishybitty

Heater (if you don't have one),epsom salt
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #3 
RowdyBetta

My first list consisted of the following:
3 gal critter keeper
SeaChem Prime water conditioner
Gravel
Cave
Plastic plants (changed later to silk when my fish ripped his fins)
Aqueon pellets
Thermometer
Heater
And, of course, a male pink pastel VT.

I might be missing stuff cause its been awhile and I've added things to my collection since then. X3 And I picked up a scrapbook paper from Joanns to be the tank background.
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #4 
Hadoken Kitty

Check list. Alright here we go:

Necessities:
[ ] A tank that is at least two gallons.
[ ] Water Dechlorinator (Stress Coat PLus, or Prime are both good - a lot of people use both).
[ ] Heater.
[ ] Something for your fish to hide in (not the spongebob house as it has metals).
[ ] Quality betta pellets (both New Life Spectrum and Omega One are great).
[ ] API Freshwater Test Kit (liquid).
[ ] Thermometer (Glass or Digital...do not use strips).

Helpful things:
[ ] Mini filter that fits up to three gallons (Tetra carries a whisper filter in this size).
[ ] More decorations.
[ ] Aquarium Salt.
[ ] Non-perfum and non-additive Epsom Salt.
[ ] Rid-Ich.
[ ] A half gallon or one gallon tank on hand for treating infection.
[ ] A heater for the extra tank.
[ ] Jungle Fungus Clear.
[ ] Mini siphon for water cleanings.
[ ] Turkey baster for quick poop and left over food cleanings.
[ ] Live plants for an easier fish-in tank cycle.

*Bolded items should take priority under their respective list.

Keep the cup that you purchased him or her in. This will be a life saver when needing to take out for 100% cleanings. I use a plastic spoon and tilt the cup to the side, nudging the fish out. They jump into the water every time, and I don't spill water. This is after I acclimate the fish to the temperature and water parameters, though.

Last edited by Hadoken Kitty; 04-01-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #5 
ANHEL123

Prime by Seachem water conditioner, only silk plants do not buy plastic ones, gravel and i like bigger stone it easier to do water changes, best heaters are

Penn Plax Cascade
Hagen Elite Mini Submersible
Hydor Theo
Marineland Visitherm

Most of, if not all of these heaters have to be ordered online or found in a local fish shop. Petsmart and Petco generally don't carry them. Good places to order are www.amazon.com and www.drsfostersmith.com
How big is your tank?
When you go buy first time make sure he/she doesn't have any sing of the disease. A lot of time you can get sick betta.
When you bring betta home i would suggest quarantine it in emty tank before you put gravel in or plants in case it will sick.
I would suggest water conditioner Prime because it the best in case you have problem with your tap water- it most recommended water conditioner
Food : New Life SPECTRUM Betta Formula, Aqueon BettaFood, you can buy freeze dried blood worms which you can feed only as a snack 2 times a week . If you will buy blood worms make sure you don't feed him untill he will learn how to eat pellets. Pellets are better than flakes or blood worms but if you will offer blood worms they can refuse pellets then.
Buy aquarium salt at the pet store and Epsom salt at any pharmacy department as first aid .
Also when you bring betta home you need to acclimate him to the new water . Make sure new water temperature is approximately the same as his. I do it this way i have my betta in the changing cup with about 15 % of the water and i am adding new water about every 5 min for about 5 times. Always cover container to prevent him jumping out, as bettas knows as good jumpers. Also leave space between water level and top of the tank.
Give us update on your new betta :)
Hadoken Kitty sorry i did't see your post as i am at work and takes me long time to write:)
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #6 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Hadoken Kitty sorry i did't see your post as i am at work and takes me long time to write:)
Lol not a big deal at all! If I was the OP, I would love the in-depth info you gave in your post!!!
Old 04-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #7 
motherpeters

Don't forget a good thermometer. A heater is necessary, but you need to know if it's malfunctioning too. I recommend a glass thermometer that goes inside the tank.
motherpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #8 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherpeters View Post
Don't forget a good thermometer. A heater is necessary, but you need to know if it's malfunctioning too. I recommend a glass thermometer that goes inside the tank.
Ohhh this is good! If you're clumsy like me, dropping $12.00 on a digital thermometer will be a life saver. I broke three in a row, all within owning the thermometer for no longer than a week.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #9 
motherpeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
Ohhh this is good! If you're clumsy like me, dropping $12.00 on a digital thermometer will be a life saver. I broke three in a row, all within owning the thermometer for no longer than a week.
LOL. I haven't broken one yet, but I haven't tried to move it much either!
motherpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #10 
RowdyBetta

I've always used a glass one. And I've only broke one! xD so far...lol, idk how it happened either!
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
checklist, macgyver was here, new fish