Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #1 
creativek14

Unhappy Help? Please Hurry

My brother has a goldfish that has gotten extremely sick within the last 8 hours. His fins look like they've been deteriorating and have a white edge where they are breaking. He isn't swimming and has light breathing. My mom refuses to get it a filtered tank because she doesn't have the patience to put up with it. He's in a 2 gallon tank I change once a week when I'm home since my brother is too lazy to do it himself. Someone please help? I'm the only person who gives a crap about this fish, and I would take him back to my house if I didn't already own 17 bettas ><
creativek14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #2 
NeptunesMom

Can you get a picture?
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #3 
creativek14

This is the only decent picture I can get right now :/
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #4 
NeptunesMom

I do not know much about goldfish diseases or health. But, I google searched it and found a care guide that listed common diseases. It said that fin rot on a goldfish appears as white or pink edges. So, based on that I would guess fin rot, which would make sense with the care schedule the fish has. Goldfish are way dirtier than bettas are, and you should change a betta in a 2 g at least twice a week. I would guess that fish needs at least 3-4 water changes a week in something that small (if not more). I know it's not really something you are able to do. Have you considered talking with your brother about rehoming the goldfish to someone who is prepared to care for it?
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #5 
creativek14

He's as stubborn as a mule about it. He's 12 so the conversation basically goes 'Want me to take it off your hands for awhile?', 'No, it's my fish', 'But you never take care of it?', 'Still, it's my fish'. So I might just have to convince my mom to let me take it home for a while to recoup in one of my 'doctor' tanks.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #6 
xShainax

He needs at least a 75 gallon aquarium. Give him to someone who has a pond.
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #7 
jadaBlu

If you think is not breathing well you would want to get him in shallow dish with a cover like a casserole. I used to have a goldfish that would get swimbladder. I'd have to do that every so often. Suzie even went to work with me sometimes undercover of course so I could make sure she survived these bouts. You could go ahead and try epsom salt as they often SBD. It won't hurt.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #8 
jadaBlu

I also would put plants or rocks something near the fish to help her stay upright.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:06 PM   #9 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShainax View Post
He needs at least a 75 gallon aquarium. Give him to someone who has a pond.
I didn't realize that standard goldfish needed that big of space. Unless you are referring to the poster saying he was 12. In that case, she was saying that her brother is 12 years old, not the fish being 12 inches long.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:12 PM   #10 
jadaBlu

A ten gallon would be much better in the interim with only the goldfish it. It should make the weekly water change ok.