Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #1 
Chevko

Chlorinated water

Other than the obvious for dechlorinating, is there a way to quickly get chlorine to dissipate from tap water? I've got about... 7? 7 1/2 gallons currently in my tank. It's steadily becoming whiter and I've got my heater as well as the filter minus the airpump in the tank. My boyfriend did some speedy research that revealed about a week of standing for the gas to evaporate. Any other ideas? I don't believe I have anything that can hold 5-7 gallons of water to sit but might be able to pick up some dechlorinator in a day or two.
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #2 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevko View Post
Other than the obvious for dechlorinating, is there a way to quickly get chlorine to dissipate from tap water? I've got about... 7? 7 1/2 gallons currently in my tank. It's steadily becoming whiter and I've got my heater as well as the filter minus the airpump in the tank. My boyfriend did some speedy research that revealed about a week of standing for the gas to evaporate. Any other ideas? I don't believe I have anything that can hold 5-7 gallons of water to sit but might be able to pick up some dechlorinator in a day or two.

If the source water contain's only chlorine,,then letting it set for 24 hour's will do the job.
If however the water contain's Chloramine (chlorine/ammonia),then dechlorinator is best bet.
I have heard that chloramines will dissipate after a week,but have no first hand expierience with letting it set for a week.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #3 
Chevko

24 hours is fine for such a large amount? When I was doing Honey's little 1-1 1/2 gallon container the water would sit for just a few days - when the water would be changed, water would sit for 3-4 days at which time I would change the water on the 4-5th days, sometimes sooner if she was being especially poopie.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Good Dechlorinator is cheap and guarantees that your water will be free of chorine/chloramine/heavy metals. Heavy metals never evaporate and chloramine takes quite a while. I wold just go buy a bottle of dechlorinator. Do you mind if I ask why you don't use dechlorinator?
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #5 
Chevko

It's not a matter of preference, mostly, just that we never have the time to go out to PetCo or PetSmart for it due to our work schedules so I make do with what I can. What heavy metals might be in the water hasn't bothered her yet and I've had her just over 30 days now. Mostly the chlorine that's stressing her.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #6 
jaysee
Reference Team

I buy Seachem Prime on amazon for much cheaper than you can buy it in a store....
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #7 
Chevko

I did not know this Jaysee :o Do you have a preferred vendor? How does it compare with shipping?
Old 04-01-2013, 11:35 PM   #8 
jaysee
Reference Team

Amazon is my preferred vendor. It is eligible for free shipping with orders of $25, or all by itself if you are an amazon prime member.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dechlorinating