Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #1 
Artemis

Hole in Head but Opposite?

I can't get pics right now but Rossi has little gray spots, 1 main one and 1 or 2 smaller one, that I thought was maybe HITH but it is slightly raised up from the skin.

What size is your tank? 2.5gal
What temperature is your tank? Around 77-79
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No, the water got to hot with one because of the lighting he has (it was around 84)
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 neon tetras as temporary guests until my sister gets a tank for them and her betta.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1 or 2 times a day, 2-3 pellets

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? None with the cycled tank, add water as needed
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime when I add water

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.5
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Small gray slightly raised lumps on head
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Non
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday night
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I know of
How old is your fish (approximately)? Pet store buy. Maybe 8 months?

I was thinking try aquarium salt but how much should I add?
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #2 
Artemis

Help?
Old 04-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #3 
Artemis

I put him in a QT that is about 1 gal, a little less and added 1/2 tsp of Instant Ocean aquarium sea salt (all I have). It isn't fuzzy but it is a bump that is gray and tumor looking (upon closer inspection, only 1 there) and I don't want my Rossi to die can someone please help!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #4 
Alcemistnv

Do you happen to have any pics?
That will be incredible useful C:
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, pics will surely help. Maybe a bacterial infection?
Marine salt is *way* different from AQ salt, I suggest doing a 100% change and add in IAL or washed dried oak leaves for some supportive properties. You may end up hurting his gills. PM Sakura8.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #6 
Artemis

Ok, I don't have oak right now. I can get some tomorrow though. I'll have to hand pick them from the ground but would that work? It is like a lump and then 2 holes on opposite sides of it. It shouldn't be bacteria. I don't know how he could have gotten it. He was fine for over a week with the new fish and snail and then BAM sick. He still eats though.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #7 
AyalaCookiejar

Yes, I would remove that salt because it could harm more than help. Aquarium salt is relatively easy to find - I have even seen it at Walmart. But don't use it for more than ten days.

It MIGHT be culomnaris - I think it often starts as grey spots that turn fuzzy, in which case, can kill very quickly if not treated soon enough. I know there are several meds that can be used but the only one I know of is Kanaplex - I always keep that on hand because it also treats dropsy, another fast killer.

Do the lights cause temp fluctuations? How long ago was the heater in there? One of my females passed away from dropsy 3 days after a power outage that caused the temp to dip and then raise again. Inconsistent temps are very dangerous and can cause sickness easily in my experience. That would be my best guess as to why he's gotten sick.

I would inspect him very closely for fuzziness, and read up on columnaris while you're at it. If it does end up being columnaris, you need to act quickly.

Edit: did you QT new fish? Disease is contagious but also, things like this are often exposed to fish all of the time and it takes something (like inconsistent temp) to compromise their immune system and then they succumb to the illness. I don't think it would be a bad idea to PM Sakura8 because she is very knowledgable - ask her to look at this thread and see if she might have any other ideas. She knows a lot more about meds than I do as well.

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 04-01-2013 at 07:36 PM.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, from the ground is okay. Just remember to wash. Wait, do you change his water? It says so here; "None with the cycled tank". Cycled tanks need to have their water changed too, I wish you didn't have to tho. :s

Otherwise, I don't know what this possibly could be.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #9 
AyalaCookiejar

Oh, in that case, he could have nitrate poisoning since he doesn't get water changes! This could have also caused him to get sick. Also, a 2.5 is too small for that many fish and your nitrates will build up a lot faster than with just one Betta.

There might have been a spike with the addition of the other fish which also could have cause him to get sick.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #10 
Artemis

The nitrates were 10 at last test 2 days ago. Nitrate poisoning dones't cause lumps and bumps.

It is fungusy but not fuzzy. It looks like if you hit something on a door and it swells up but gray and on a fish.