Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #1 
osromatra

Fin Melt :( thanks to my stupid mistake

Last Sunday, we did a water change and I assumed hubby turned on the filter. He didn't. I had classes on Monday and Tuesday and didn't notice the filter was off until Wednesday afternoon. :( Ammo was 0.5, all else was 0. I immediately did a WC, rinsed the old filter in tank water (from our other cycled tank) and replaced it. I've checked prams daily (sometimes twice daily) since and kept up with WC, and occasionally would use Prime in lieu of a WC, if it was between 0 and 0.25. No one else in the tank is acting funny or appears ill, though the cycle has definitely restarted.

The first day, he looked normal. No one was acting weird. Well, the next day, he looked wilted and I noted a reddened film along his caudal. Each day, it curled a little more. By Friday/Saturday, it looked like it had halted, or even improved. But last night, it was worse again and today he just plain looks ill. He's still vigorous, eating well, swimming fine, etc. His scales and fins just look dull, plus the reddened fins are clumped and stiff. I've decided he has an infection and got tetracycline, after I googled on here. I want to make sure that's all I need to do. I've included a photo, the best I can get with my camera. It's a little worse than that today.

Housing
What size is your tank? 20G (but I just put him in a 1G QT.
What temperature is your tank? 78 (QT is hovering around 78 as well)
Does your tank have a filter? yes (QT does not)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes (QT does not)
Is your tank heated? yes (QT is, with a non-adjustible one)
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 5 kuhli loaches, 3 platies, 2 otos (no one in the QT)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?-NLS, 3-4 pellets, twice a day, and he eats a bit of the other guys' tropical flakes (Omega One Tropical Flakes) plus he gets either daphnia or bloodworm on Saturdays, which I skipped this week, sort of half-rationing everyone due to the cycle issue. He is fasted on Sunday.
How often do you feed your betta fish? -see above

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?- every Saturday or Sunday, plus as needed, as I check my water every other day. Since it's been recycling, I check it daily. (His QT, I am going to change it, 100%, daily)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?- The regular scheduled is 25%, including a stir of the sand. With the cycle redoing, I've done a 50% and a 75% in addition to the 75-80% that I did when I first discovered my mistake.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?- I alternate with Stress Coat and Prime, using dosage instructions per the bottle. I also add Blackwater Extract and Leaf Zone per the bottle instructions. (In the QT, Stress Coat, plus extra bit, plus Blackwater Extract)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
-I have him QTing now and do WC, 100% daily is my plan. Prams are 0s at the moment.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?-Edges of his fins got red and sticky looking, then curled, and now have stiffened. His caudal is the worst, and his pectorals sometimes "clump".
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?-None, maybe a little skiddish, but generally the same. Eating well and active.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I guess it was late Thursday evening.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?- Before moving to QT, I was doing daily WC and dosing with prime, hoping the cycle would adjust quickly. Yesterday, gave up on that, as he appeared to be worsening. Moved him to a 1G QT today, with a heater, using conditioned water with Blackwater Extract and half-tsp of Aq Salt. Also, dosed the water with tetracycline per the instructions.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?-He had some bouts with bloating when we first got the tank going, while I figured out how to feed everyone properly, but not since then.
How old is your fish (approximately)? -Tank has been set up since Christmas, cycled fully since first week of February and no issues til this month. About 2 weeks ago, my son put a bunch of the blackwater extract and leaf zone in, but it didn't appear to have caused any problems. Then about a week later, I did the stupid-leaving-the-filter-off thing. Other than that, our paramaters have been pristine. I estimate he's about a year old and some change.

Last edited by osromatra; 04-01-2013 at 03:51 PM.
osromatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #2 
osromatra

Already much better! still very reddened and puffy looking on his fins, but they aren't as stiff. They previously were so stiff and curled, the tip of his caudal looked like a strip of bacon! I can see it flowing more and relaxing/uncurling. Like I said, still pretty red, no real improvement there yet, but at least the stiffness (probably inflammation) is going down.

Just thought I'd update.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #3 
Fieldz

As your aquarium is cycled, I guess you wont have any problems. Your fish will heal up fast. If you want, you can mix 1 Teaspoon of Aquarium Salt per 5 gallons of Aq. water in a cup then add it into the tank just during this week as a preventive.
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #4 
osromatra

I cant put it in the main tank as there are kuhli loaches in there and they don't do well with salt. I've been adding it to his QT tank though.