Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #1 
fourbuttons

Advice appreciated =)

Hello,

I am a relative newbie at owning bettas, and was just wondering if anyone might take a look at the pic of my baby boy and tell me if they think his fin looks normal - it has a tear in it. It doesn't seem to be painful for him, but I just want to make sure that there's not a bigger problem than just a tear. He has blue at the tips of his fin, in case any of you might wonder about fin rot - it doesn't appear to be that, to me anyway.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!!
Attached Images

fourbuttons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #2 
HeyBluejay

It looks like he may have a case of fin rot; but not to fear! every Betta owner eventually deals with this.
It may appear blue if at a very early stage; though if he continues to get worse this should help you ;)

http://bettasplendid.weebly.com/fin-rot-101.html

If he has always had blue tips (but I caution, it is very hard to tell if you got him from a pet store-it could have started there.) then he should heal up on his own in a few days. Fin tears can be pretty common. If you would like to prevent any more tears, my advice would be to switch out his plastic plants for silk plants or living ones.
Hope everything goes well!

Last edited by HeyBluejay; 04-01-2013 at 03:31 PM.
HeyBluejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Not everyone has to deal with it if you keep them properly...

It looks like a tear and the beginnings of fin rot. All you need to do it keep him in clean, warm water. No need to stress him with aq salt.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #4 
fourbuttons

Thanks for the advice! He did have the blue tips when I got him, but that was only a few weeks ago so maybe it has been fin rot this whole time. I will make sure to do frequent water changes to continue to keep his water nice and clean and hope that it clears up within a few days. If it doesn't, I will try the aq salt suggested in the link.

Thanks again!!!!
Old 04-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Do you have a heater? What type of decorations do you have? Aquarium salt can become quite damaging.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #6 
fourbuttons

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Do you have a heater? What type of decorations do you have? Aquarium salt can become quite damaging.
I don't have a heater, and the decorations are just a hammock (leaf) on the side and that grassy-looking thing you can see the uploaded pic. I wonder if maybe it's the grassy thing - I did the panty-hose test before putting it in, but I wonder if it's still a bad idea.. maybe I will take that out for a bit and see if that helps as well.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

You should really get a heater. Remember that these are tropical fish. How big is your tank?
Old 04-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #8 
fourbuttons

I have him in a ~1.5 gal bowl-type thing. I have seen that some people say that's not big enough, but I keep him here at work on my desk and I really can't fit anything bigger.