Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2013, 10:40 PM   #1 
Flyby Stardancer

I was a good girl, but I really wish I wasn't.

So, I went into Petco just to escape the heat and look around, maybe get a thermometer for my 2 gallon QT tank.

They had just gotten in a shipment of new bettas this week. There were soooooo many gorgeous fish that I wish I could have taken home, including babies that looked to still be in good health. *whimper* As I looked at the babies, I just kept thinking that a baby in the QT would be fine because I'd be doing so many water changes, and room temp is currently at-or-above what baby bettas need (I've been trying to cool off my cycling main tank during the day, because it's been getting over 90 in the house during the day).

I'm just a little bit miserable for not taking one of them home. Never have I felt so awful for not taking one home.
Flyby Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:00 PM   #2 
RockyTheBetta26

I know it won't help much but I know very well what you mean!!!! For the past two days in a row (don't ask how because I don't know myself) I've ended up at a pet store. Yesterday I fell in love with a gorgeous dragonscale male with beautiful, flowing red fins at petco. Today it was a spunky little male plakat with a green body and cream fins with dark blue edges at Petsmart AND a tiny helpless adorable white female at petco. I felt something very close to real physical pain every time I left one in that horrid little cup. But what I had to realize each time was that, atleast in my situation, it would be irresponsible to take them in when I currently don't have the means to give them everything they need. I really hope you feel better! Try to focus on your own babies and spoil em' rotten!!! ;)
RockyTheBetta26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:08 PM   #3 
Flyby Stardancer

The only babies I have here at home are my kitty babies! And it's hard to spoil them when I can't cuddle them because it's too hot! XD
Old 06-28-2013, 11:41 PM   #4 
RockyTheBetta26

Oh, I'm sorry!! Why not get a baby then? (: sorry, I know I'm being a bad influence...I'll stop. (:
Old 06-29-2013, 12:01 AM   #5 
Flyby Stardancer

Because I don't have anything ready. My main tank just showed nitrites with today's tests (just two days after officially starting to cycle!). And then the QT tank still needs tweaking, and a place to go... I don't have a place picked out to keep it. lol
Old 06-29-2013, 12:08 AM   #6 
RockyTheBetta26

Yea, I see your point. Well, I wish you luck in whatever you do with your tanks and any bettas you get in the future! (:
Old 06-29-2013, 03:59 AM   #7 
Flyby Stardancer

Thank you! :) Yeah, it's definitely hard to wait! lol To make up for it, I filled and started cycling my QT tank. I know some people feel a 2 gal can't hold a cycle, but we'll see. :)
Old 06-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #8 
Flyby Stardancer

In a way, it was a good thing I resisted... I haven't been trying to manipulate the QT tank's temps since I set it up last night, and when I got home from work? The thermometer read 100F. OUCH. That's 5 degrees hotter than that part of the kitchen is! (And yes, the heater is completely unplugged. It's a matter of there being very little exposed surface at the top of the tank, and what is exposed is under a well-fitting lid.Very little chance for heat to escape.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #9 
RockyTheBetta26

WOW...it is a good thing there were no fish in there!!! Isn't it weird how things work out that way sometimes? My parents once had a heater malfunction while they were out of the house and came home literally to the smell of cooking fish...not a pleasant experience in the least...
Old 06-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #10 
Flyby Stardancer

Well, I wouldn't have just let it do whatever it wanted to do if there had been fish involved. LOL Still, going to be difficult to cool it off. At least it means it should stay warmer in the winter too.