Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #1 
loomy

Air Holes

We brought home our first Betta last week. He is currently in the 2.5 gallon Betta Mini Bow. We are using it without the filter as I read that it is too strong for a Betta. This left a large opening in the back. I was afraid that he could jump out of it, or that our cats could get to him through it, so I covered most of it leaving an opening of about one centimeter wide and a few inches long. I was worried that that wouldn't be enough air, so I also propped open the feeding door leaving a similar sized air hole on the opposite side of the tank. Does this allow for enough air flow in the tank? I was surprised that the lid did not have a bunch of air holes like the 1/2 gallon starter kit we initially bought for him had. Also, he can't get out of those size openings can he? If this setup doesn't work, any suggestions? I can't seem to find a similar sized tank with a bunch of air holes in the lid. How much air flow does a Betta need?
loomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #2 
Fishybitty

Hmm, if you have it against the wall it should be fine. I have 5 cats and suprisingly they never mess with our tanks. I do know that the marina tanks have openings on the top though.
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #3 
waterdog

Why not add a sponge filter? Not only would this pump air into the tank, but you could have a cycled tank which would cut down on water changes!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #4 
loomy

Thanks for the replies! I will look into Marina tanks and sponge filters. In the mean time, do you think he is getting enough air with the holes described? Thanks!
loomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #5 
waterdog

Hard to say just from a description, but look at it this way, if they can survive in those little jars in the store he should be fine in your tank.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote