Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #1 
Rilly10

Just bought an Evolve 4...Help!

Hi everyone! I am new to the forum (this is my first post)

I just bought an Evolve 4 on clearance and when I got home to look at reviews noticed the filter can be an issue. I read that drilling holes in the tube can help, and also plan on adjusting it to as low as possible.

Does anyone have this tank? Is there anything else I can do to make it suitable for a Betta? I have not had a Betta in years (since college) and would love to set one up in here if possible. I guess if there is no solution I can return the tank, but I really love the look of it and that the filter is hidden.

I have not bought a Betta yet so have plenty of time to make modifications if needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
Rilly10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #2 
Hadoken Kitty

Hey! I purchased an Evolve 2, but I believe that they have similar filters. I honestly do not use the filter than came with the tank. Instead, I purchased a cheap mini filter (Tetra 3iWhisper - or something along those lines). It fits up to 3 gallons. My fish absolutely loves it. It is an air pump filter though, so there will be a bit of buzzing from the mini air pump that is comes with.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #3 
Otterfun

This is a sample of a ball valve to adjust the flow
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=131994
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #4 
Hadoken Kitty

Oh that's really nice!!!
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #5 
Syriiven

I simply put nylon over the outflow with a rubber band to muffle the flow. My dragonscale halfmoon betta gets along in his tank just fine, I even have an anubia plant in there that does fine with the muffled flow.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #6 
Rilly10

Thanks so much everyone! Sorry if this was a duplicate thread, I tried searching, but couldn't pull anything up! Gotta get used to all the terms and part names!
Old 04-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #7 
Syriiven

Its alright, I tried finding alternatives too =) Has one heck of a flow I dont think ANY pet fish would enjoy xD
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #8 
HeyBluejay

I had the same issues with my Fluval V 5 gallon. I ended up doing the same thing; replacing the filter alltogether. Except with mine, I found out that since the filter is in a concealed area; I had to get one made for a larger tank to be able to filter the water well enough. So right now I have a filter fit for a 15 gallon. It's working like a charm though!
HeyBluejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #9 
Otterfun

you can always rubberband a Fluval Edge Pre-Filter sponge ($2) on the outflow to baffle the currents. It is a much cheaper alternative and BB grows on it too. Also if you have shrimps, they graze on it.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #10 
Rilly10

Well the holes I made in the tube seems to have done the trick! I will have to see once the fish is in there (haven't bought one yet). I am going to look tomorrow when a new shipment comes in at a local pet store. They had a cute pastel looking one, but I really like the all red ones too. We will see!

One other thing I need to figure out is how to decorate. So far I just have natural pebbles, a lantern, and a marimo. I was hoping to add more live plants than just the marimo, but not sure how much I can fit without it being too cramped. I thought the tank would have 4 gallons of open space, but seems as though the enclosed filter compartment is included in the gallon count which is "unusable" space. I do have two tiny scultures on order (a mini foo dog and a mini lucky cat), but worry the betta won't have enough hiding spaces. I also already bought one of the zoo med floating log hides, but it takes up so much room also. Not sure what to use in there.

What do you guys have in yours? I would love to see pics! I will try to figure out how to upload a pic of mine so far!

Tags
evolve