Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #1 
papercranes

Question Is it safe to add my betta in his new tank?

Hello guys,
I bought the Marineland 5 Hex Tank, added gravel, a heater, few live plants, substrate and decor. I also added API Quick Start and API Stress Coat in vain since I couldn't find any ammonia to do start a fishless cycle in my tank. I was planning on adding my betta in 24 hrs but now my guilty conscience has taken over. I have an ammonia alert that gives me ammonia readings continuously, but that's about it. Is it okay to add my betta in or should I continue to look for ammonia? He is currently in a sad looking 1.5 gal tank.
Attached Images

papercranes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #2 
bettacrazygirl86

You can add him in whenever you want, really. It wakes a while for the cycle to set up completely. More around like a month, at least. But you could add him in whenever you want. You have plants, which will help with the ammonia. As long as you keep up on water changes, you should be fine. :)

I have my bettas in a divided 10 gallon with live plants, filter, and heater, and I added them in right away too. They're both fine.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #3 
bettafishgirl

I think he will be fine if you add him in now.

Btw, may I ask what heater you use? I have the same size tank as you for my medical tank but it is currently unheated
bettafishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #4 
papercranes

I use this Hydor 7.5 slim heater, its flat so you can hide it under the gravel. I bought it on Amazon but that was before I realized my local Petco sold it too -.- It works great for me : )
Attached Images

Last edited by papercranes; 04-01-2013 at 06:17 PM.
papercranes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #5 
jman828

You can, yes, but be sure you have a reliable liquid test kit (API rec commended) and make sure you monitor your ammonia every day and once it spikes then nitrites and when those spike check nitrates but keep checking the other 2 as well. Remember for a very short period anything under 0.15-0.2ppm is okay but not ideal. Try to keep ammonia and nitrites as close to 0 as possible and nitrate under 40ppm, but preferably 20. You cycle will commence within a few day and finish in 4-6 weeks. Good Luck!
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #6 
Fieldz

I wouldnt add him yet. Instead, I would plant densely my tank with lowtech plants to make sure that the betta tank never gets any ammonia reading at all. Thats the best way to do it.
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:11 AM   #7 
Polkadot

Yes he should be fine to go in,just keep up your water changes.I havemy little boys in 30L tanks which I added API Quick Start to when I first set them up as well as Stress Zyme & they are all great.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #8 
waterdog

Yes you can add him. Just monitor your water as it seems you are. I do all my tanks fish in cycles.

I have that same tank and it is by far my favorite. The bio wheel makes changing filters a no brainer.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #9 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

deleted

Last edited by Perseusmom; 04-03-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #10 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Yes you can add him I have this same tank and I added my guy after letting it run for 24 hours. Just keep up with your 2 a week 50 percent water changes and after the tank cycles you only do 1 weekly 50 percent water change . Do you have a gravel vacuum ? those are great for doing your water change with and to vacuum the gravel and when you do the 2 weekly only vacuum the gravel one of those times.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon, adding betta, new tank, no cycle