Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2013, 10:52 PM   #1 
alec206

Fin damage? My betta has gone from half moon to super delta

Hey all, I got my latest betta about week ago. I got him from Aquastar71 via Aquabid. This is the first time I've bought a fish from Aquabid. So far he seems to be getting along well but in the last couple days I've noticed his dorsal spread seems to have gone down from a full half moon to more of a super delta spread. Check the pics.

Before

After

I pulled out the decorations that were in the tank. I had a plastic plant and a vase ornament that I think my have damaged his fins.

this was the old set up:

I'm not seeing any signs of rot. And he seems to be doing well overall. He is eating and swimming around happily. Should I be concerned? I did a half water change today and got rid of the questionable ornaments. I may be worrying to much about this but any help on what to do from here is greatly appreciated.
alec206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:29 PM   #2 
alec206

Also I filled this out just in case.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 80 Degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration ? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta bio-Gold pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Daily with weekly fast day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress-X

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No

If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes loss of fin spread.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? 50% water change.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately) 4 months
Old 03-31-2013, 11:33 PM   #3 
GailC

His fins don't look damaged or injured in any way. Most likely he just isn't flaring his fins completely. The spread is still there, he just isn't showing you:)
GailC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:42 PM   #4 
alec206

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailC View Post
His fins don't look damaged or injured in any way. Most likely he just isn't flaring his fins completely. The spread is still there, he just isn't showing you:)
Ok thanks. I'm way too into this fish and may be being overprotective.

I am still concerned about the ornaments I pulled form the tank. The vase ornament in the last picture seems like it has pretty sharp edges. I have heard of the nylon snag trick, but as a bachelor I don't have any nylons lying around ;) He did like hiding down in his fake plant and vase. So as long as they didn't hurt him I might put them back. I'd like to get real plants going but just haven't had a chance to work on that yet.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #5 
dummees

What a pretty fish. I think...since you got him from aquabid, that's the same one I was going to buy before I decided on Silus. C:
I also agree on his fins not looking damaged...Silus is also a halfmoon and his fins have been drooping slightly, but when he flares they look completely normal. If he doesn't normally dart into his ornaments I don't think they're a huge issue for you either, so just keep an eye on him. His fins look pretty fine to me so I think he just isn't flaring up for you.
dummees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #6 
alec206

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummees View Post
What a pretty fish. I think...since you got him from aquabid, that's the same one I was going to buy before I decided on Silus. C:
I also agree on his fins not looking damaged...Silus is also a halfmoon and his fins have been drooping slightly, but when he flares they look completely normal. If he doesn't normally dart into his ornaments I don't think they're a huge issue for you either, so just keep an eye on him. His fins look pretty fine to me so I think he just isn't flaring up for you.
Great thanks. I'm glad you didn't bid on him! I've named him Bo Jackson. He had a pretty harrowing trip to me from the transhipper. His bag split open somehow in transit. Luckily it was damp enough in there he still had enough life in him to flop just as I was about to take a picture. I got him in some water and then home to his new tank. He is doing great now, he has a great disposition; very active and curious and has a healthy appetite. But after all that I am way overprotective of the little guy.

Tags
fin damage, fin deterioration, fin loss, fin rot half moon, ornament