Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #21 
isochronism

As Ayala say's,... In three months or less my:
-Java Fern (big to begin with) @ 20 + babies
-9 Water Lettuce @ over 30 babies (some quite large already, with babies giving babies
-Asian Water Moss, easily doubled amount
-Najas Grass. One small piece came with three baby shrimp in shipping. easily, at least ten times as much now!!!
I will never need to buy plants again......
Now I'll just have to keep buying tanks to house all the plants!! HA
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:23 PM   #22 
isochronism

My couple other plants that don't produce babies, just get bigger :)
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:03 AM   #23 
alwaysaBettaLover

Haha! I totally forgot they multipled!.....wait, the shrimp, or the plants?????
alwaysaBettaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:29 AM   #24 
alwaysaBettaLover

Name:  Camera(86).jpg
Views: 72
Size:  43.8 KB

Name:  Camera(94).jpg
Views: 72
Size:  49.5 KB

Yeah, the algae in the filter has gone down l, but it is hardly filtering, just overflowing. How can I get it to actually filter????
Will post pics. Above
Old 04-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #25 
kyle89

Swoosh the filter in old tank water when you change water to clean it out
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #26 
alwaysaBettaLover

Sweet! I will definitely have to try that
Old 04-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #27 
AyalaCookiejar

It's the plants that will multiply. The faster growing plants will obviously multiply faster.

Someone posted a picture in the planted tank show and tell thread and they had water sprite that completely took over their tank! I really hope my water sprite takes off like that because I imagine it would do WONDERS for my water parameters.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #28 
dude

Someone else has mentioned this but thought I'd add to it: your tap water might contain phosphates and nitrates (plant/algae fertilizer) and I would recommend getting a nitrate and phosphate test kit to test your tap water and your aquarium water. Some water suppliers will have higher readings for these on certain days of the week so if you test every day for a couple of weeks and find Wednesdays have the lowest readings for nitrates and phosphates in your tap water, store some water on that day every week for water changes. I know this sounds odd but it's the way I solved a persistent algae problem when all else had failed.

Also as someone else has suggested; get a small adjustable aquarium heater and plug your light into a cheap timer switch. I have my aquarium lights come on for 2 hours in the morning and the go off for most of the day while I'm working and back on in the evening. To get the algae under control consider keeping the light off completely for a few days.

Taking into consideration what I said above about your tap water, do more water changes and get the nitrate levels in your tank down, use a test kit to track the drop in nitrates. You might have to do a 70% water change for 2 or 3 days running to get it down if the nitrates are very high. Don't forget to add a water conditioner to tap water to remove chlorine etc. Then consider doing very regular water changes to keep the nitrates down. I change 50% of my tank water every 2 days. Nitrates are also a growth inhibitor in fish so your fish will never look their best or grow to their full potential with high levels of nitrates in the water. When I was breeding show quality Discus I didn't have any plants, just bare tanks and very regular water changes. You can add plants and try other tricks to keep nitrates down but don't cheat on regular water changes, it's the only reliable way to keep your whole tank healthy. Using a good siphon pump and an extra large bucket it takes me 10 minutes to do and it's the best 10 minutes you can spend every 2 days on keeping your tank and fish at their best. Every couple of weeks give your filter sponge a good wring out in a bucket of tank water while you are doing a water change to keep it flowing and free of crud. Never clean your filter with untreated tap water or straight under the tap or with very hot water, it will kill the good bacteria in the filter. Good luck with the algae, I know from experience it can be annoying
dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #29 
alwaysaBettaLover

You are so right! It Is so annoying!!! also, I had my light off for almost a week and the algae was still there. Only a little, but it was still there. Once I showed my snail the algae hoard on the sand, he now paces back and forth on the sand picking up algae, so he -or it I guess- has sorta got that under control, but I can see if I can get a water test kit also. I have really been meaning to go and get one, it I'm always so busy with school and such.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #30 
AyalaCookiejar

The liquid test kits are rather expensive but they come in handy a lot! Plus you get way more out of them than the strips and they're more accurate.

I know someone else posted about Marino moss balls and I'm curious... Will they grow with tiny LED lights? Algae obviously can. I've got an algae problem in my blind boys tank and now its starting to grow in my other boys tank! But the lights will not support live plants.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote