Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #1 
dummees

3 Gallon - Any Ideas?

Hi Guys -

So after a good 3-4 months of educating myself on bettas after an x-mas present gone bad in December (unfortunately 2 bettas dead later from poor information from a petstore) , I wish I could retire the gift 3 gallon cylinder tank. Then again, it really is pretty, and looks great on my desk.
My question is, now that my betta is in a much better environment (6.6g now), what can I put in this 3 gallon?
It has an undergravel filter already, but I would prefer something more cold water so it wouldn't require another heater. If it's needed though, I wouldn't mind picking one up.

I've seen a few snails and even a couple people suggested mollies...but I'm not sure on any fish, it seems very high maintenance to even keep a fish alive in a space that small. I was thinking an african dwarf frog, but some forums also said that it's way too small. :T

If you guys have any suggestions, it would be more than appreciated. I really don't want to have this tank sit in a box when it was a present that created my love for bettas. C:
Thanks!
dummees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

No mollies. If you don't want a betta (with a heater and proper water changes 3 gallons I great) I would go with shrimp. Plenty of colorful kinds!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #3 
RowdyBetta

Yes! Shrimp! I love them but my bettas are always too aggressive. XD I'd love to set up tank just for shrimp.
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #4 
dummees

Awww, you guys are trying to make me sob every time I pass the seafood section, aren't you? No more sushi for me if I keep branching out with different breeds of aquatic life.
I think I might go with some Cherries - I think they'd look really nice along the bottom with some contrasting white gravel.
Thanks!
dummees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #5 
RowdyBetta

Oh I think that'd be lovely! You'll have to post pics when it's set up!
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #6 
tekkguy

Cherries will sort of de-color on light gravel. Best to go with something dark, and you'll notice their color improve.

But yeah ... fill that sucker full of driftwood and some plants, and start a cherry colony.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3 gallon tank, tanks