Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2008, 01:33 AM   #1 
Gaut

Lost a fish tonight

Tonight I come home after work to one of my fire red dwarf gouramis stiff on the bottom of the tank. The tank is a 36 gallon and has been up for a little over 2 weeks now. I've done the waterchanges weekly and all the other fish in the tank look fine(4 Platys, 1 fire red and 1 blue gouramis, and 2 african claw frogs). The dead fish had his tail fin a little torn up and had a white patch with no scales on the top right of his body behind his head. I'm assuming something in the tank got to him, probably the frogs but none of the other fish are scared of them or each other. I tested the tank with the API kit I just bought and got the readings below. This if the first time I've used it so forgive the approximates, I haven't figured out how to read with much confidence yet.
ph 8.0ish
ammonia .25ish
nitrite 5
nitrate 15ish

Are those water readings horrible for a new tank which killed the fish or am I going to have to referee the tank for awhile?

Thanks for helping the FNG
Gaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:05 AM   #2 
Dave66

Re: Lost a fish tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaut
Tonight I come home after work to one of my fire red dwarf gouramis stiff on the bottom of the tank. The tank is a 36 gallon and has been up for a little over 2 weeks now. I've done the waterchanges weekly and all the other fish in the tank look fine(4 Platys, 1 fire red and 1 blue gouramis, and 2 african claw frogs). The dead fish had his tail fin a little torn up and had a white patch with no scales on the top right of his body behind his head. I'm assuming something in the tank got to him, probably the frogs but none of the other fish are scared of them or each other. I tested the tank with the API kit I just bought and got the readings below. This if the first time I've used it so forgive the approximates, I haven't figured out how to read with much confidence yet.
ph 8.0ish
ammonia .25ish
nitrite 5
nitrate 15ish

Are those water readings horrible for a new tank which killed the fish or am I going to have to referee the tank for awhile?

Thanks for helping the FNG
Your tank isn't cycled, thus your fish died. Goramies need stable tanks, planted preferably.
First, your pH is far too high for goramies. They live best and longer in neutral to slightly acid water that's moderately soft. Second, to be cycled, Ammonia and Nitrite are always zero. Your Nitrate isn't terrible, but it should be 10 ppm or lower with your bioload.
Fourth, the pH is fine for the livebearers, but they too are in trouble with Ammonia and Nitrite in the tank, since both are highly toxic to fish.
Eventually the nitrafying bacteria in the tank will proliferate enough to handle the Ammonia produced by the fishes and your readings will be Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 and Nitrate around 10 ppm. Weekly water changes of 20 percent and you and your fish will be OK. Make SURE the new water you put in the tank is the same temperature and chemical makeup of the water in the tank. That will avoid temperature shock, which leads to disease.
Feed lightly, no more than your fish can finish in a minute or less, twice a day. Make sure any uneaten is removed promptly.
Just make sure you don't add ANY new fish until your tank is cycled. Should be a few weeks to a month before things settle down in there and the aquarium is cycled.

Dave
Dave66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:49 PM   #3 
ErinBBC

Sorry to hear about your fish :(

I have gotten some great advice here and I think you will, too. I also had no idea that tanks had to be cycled even for hardy fish like bettas - they don't tell you these things at pet shops.

Good luck with your fish and I hope you don't lose any more!
ErinBBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #4 
stephenmontero

sorry to hear about ur fish but yea u have to get that tank cycled and do more water changes
stephenmontero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:45 PM   #5 
EchoEcho

Seachem stability and Seachem Prime...

Stability has basically cycled my tank in 8 days, I am Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate <5,

A large dose of Prime will detoxify the Nitrites and Ammonia in your tank for 24 hours or so. They will still test, but they will be in a safe state for your fish. This way they are still utilized in building your biological filter.

I have used and found both these products to be great. And they help safe your fish lives if you have made the mistake of adding to many fish at the beginning.
EchoEcho is offline   Reply With Quote