Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #1 
Goodbettabest

Cleaning a 5 gal tank?

Hi all, I just bought a 4 gal and a 5 gal tank for my boys and am curious as to how you clean your tanks? My boys have been in 1 gal bowls up until now and I have been giving them a weekly 100% water change including taking everything out adn cleaning the bowl, gravel & plants. Not sure whether that is the way to go with the larger tanks or whether I should just do partial water changes and vacuum the gravel rather than taking it all out and washing it? They are unfiltered and are not heated. I have thermometers in the tanks & the temp stays at a pretty steady 80 deg due to the fact that I live in a hot climate year-round.
Goodbettabest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:55 AM   #2 
Picasso84

I don't have a lot of experience in cycling, & water changes, but I can point u in the right direction! :) at the top of this forum (betta fish bowls, habitats, and accessories) look for the sticky by OldFishLady, I think it's titled "OldFishLady's water change recommendations" the info she laid out in her sticky, has been a staple that everyone on this forum uses as a guide.... And if you have any more questions, you can always message O.F.L. :)
Picasso84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #3 
Jexx

50% twice a week. once with water only and the other with vacuuming the gravel.
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:14 PM   #4 
Fishybitty

I would say vacuum it is really easy to do. I wouldn't completely pull out the gravel and change it unless it looks funky. As far as plants, and deco I use to take mine out and rinse them because they would get gunky.
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #5 
Akito38

Hello I had a 3.5 gallon awhile back and I vacuumed it most of the time and I did something like a 90 - 90% water change every two weeks and a 60% every week.

It is important to note I was using a filter suitable to a 3 gallon tank (tetra whisper 3 i) and I also had two marimo balls in it. (these help clean the water a bit)

I took out the decorations and cleaned them maybe 3 times a year and I vacuumed the gravel heavily when I did this. If you have filters it makes things a bit easier and the same goes for plants. This is also assuming you have only one betta per tank and no other fish.
Akito38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:48 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

People are going to tell you different amounts.

According to Oldfishlady, who was a moderator that left the site, her recomendations for a 5G unfiltered were to do one 50% once a week and a 90% once a month - both with gravel vaccuming. With a siphon, you don't have to remove the gravel since the siphon will suck up any debris in the gravel.

If you cycle, then you can cut back to 25-50% once a week AFTER the cycle completes. It's really not as scary as it sounds. Basically just do two 50% water changes a week till the cycle completes OR you can buy the master test it and test for ammonia and nitrIte. When they get to .25 do a water change. When you get 0 for ammonia and nitrite but are getting nitrAtes, you are done.

As for cleaning decor - for the unfiltered tanks, I rinse the decor off in every water change. In filtered tanks, every now and then. the Baccteria you want to grow will attach to the decor, tan walls and substrate but most will be in the filter cartridge or sponge.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 04-04-2013 at 02:53 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote