Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #11 
ashleylyn

Central. :p Close to Great Adventure.

Last edited by ashleylyn; 04-01-2013 at 10:40 PM.
ashleylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #12 
bettacrazygirl86

Oh, cool! :) Imma shoot you a PM so we can talk through there.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #13 
ashleylyn

Quick question - has anyone heard of these?
http://www.petco.com/product/112549/...onersAdditives
Old 04-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #14 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I've never heard of them but they can't hurt. You still have to do water changes like normal, that would just give you a "bubble". I have um... Let me think... Eight tanks and a one gallon tub for shrimp and I have streamlined care so that it doesn't take me long at all. Some tips-

Use a big bucket for water changes. I use 3 gallons.

Divide and cycle tanks to get water changes down a lot

Get a sorority and cycle it

Get a siphon/gravel vac

That's a few off the top of my head. The biggest part of it is simply being committed and finding what works for you.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #15 
ashleylyn

Thanks! Hopefully someday I'll be able to handle that many tanks... I guess for now I just have to experiment and see what works best given my college circumstances. :p

I may pick those things up if I run to Petco tomorrow and they have them. I'll of course do my regular water changes, but they look interesting!

I sleep with my little one in my room and find myself, first thing in the morning, check to make sure s/he's darting around and happy. I didn't think it was possible to really care about a fish, but I do haha
Old 04-02-2013, 01:55 AM   #16 
Blue Fish

I haven't used one of those tanks before, you could try taking a sponge and sticking it in there, see if that helps? Next time I'm at the fish store, I'll see if I can put my hands on one, open it up and check it out without them noticing that I'm exploring their merchandise. ;) I'll put it back when I'm done...I just want to see... ;)

This won't help your space issue, but for additional outlets (as long as your college allows it) you can get a strip of outlets at most walmarts or places like that if you find you need more outlets. It's actually a surge protector, but with small wattage appliances (like heaters and filters) you can usually use all the plugs on them with no problems. :) Your wall outlets should provide plenty of wattage for the use in the strip/protector. :)

Good luck to you!! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #17 
ashleylyn

Thank you for the suggestions, Blue Fish! :)

I went to Petco today planning on picking up another baby, but there were only 4 left.. they all looked like veiltail females and since I find my love to be crowntails, I passed on them. I found an absolutely STUNNING adult male crowntail. He was black with hints of other colors and was just, ugh. If I had the extra money on me, I totally would've snatched him up. Maybe I'll go back tomorrow... but at the same time, I kind of want another baby! I wonder when they get their next shipment in?

That said, I got the Whisper 3g filter and it's kind of noisy and seems a little strong/bubbly, but my baby is swimming all around it just fine and seems intrigued by the little waterfall effect, so I don't think it bothers him/her. :)
Old 04-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #18 
bannlow2471

@ ashelyn, your baby is adorable! I've had my male veil tail for five-ish months now, and just got a baby Betta a week ago this past Friday, so nine days now. I got into Bettas very much by accident when a co-worker gifted me with Murray (veil tail) who now lives at my office. The baby is now living in Murray's old 2.5 gallon tank (he recently got upgraded to a 5 gallon) and I am already trying to plan for the tank I'll move him/her to when he/she gets a little bigger. If it turns out the baby is a girl, I might try for a 10 or 15 gallon sorority tank, if a boy, I think I'll probably get a 10 gallon and divide it for one more Betta. I'd like to have multiple different tail types as from what I've read it seems their personalities vary quite a bit, and I'm interested to see if I notice those same differences that other people do. I agree - Bettas are ADDICTING! I can't wait until this baby gets a little bigger so I can hopefully figure out what tail type and gender he or she is!
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #19 
ashleylyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannlow2471 View Post
@ ashelyn, your baby is adorable! I've had my male veil tail for five-ish months now, and just got a baby Betta a week ago this past Friday, so nine days now. I got into Bettas very much by accident when a co-worker gifted me with Murray (veil tail) who now lives at my office. The baby is now living in Murray's old 2.5 gallon tank (he recently got upgraded to a 5 gallon) and I am already trying to plan for the tank I'll move him/her to when he/she gets a little bigger. If it turns out the baby is a girl, I might try for a 10 or 15 gallon sorority tank, if a boy, I think I'll probably get a 10 gallon and divide it for one more Betta. I'd like to have multiple different tail types as from what I've read it seems their personalities vary quite a bit, and I'm interested to see if I notice those same differences that other people do. I agree - Bettas are ADDICTING! I can't wait until this baby gets a little bigger so I can hopefully figure out what tail type and gender he or she is!
Regarding bettas being addicting - you can say that again! Look what I brought home from Petco today, hahaha!

Old 04-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #20 
bannlow2471

Wow, what a beauty! As it happens I brought something (someone) home tonight also. It's a lovely female crowntail and I am now in the process of figuring out a name for her. I'll probably post a picture tomorrow.
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote