Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #21 
ANHEL123

If filter too strong for 2.5 and 3 gall tanks you can just do 1 or better 2-50% and 1-100% weekly water changes. It is better not to cycle 2.5-3 gall any way. You just will need to acclimate your betta to the new water temperature so you don't shock him with drastic temp change when you do 100% water changes.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:55 AM   #22 
ashleylyn

Yeah, I've been doing 2 50% and 1 100% change a week. :)
ashleylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #23 
ANHEL123

oh good. Then you really don't need the filter you can take it out . You need filter only if you cycle your tank. And i am not sure if anyone told you to acclimate the betta when you do 100% water changes. Do you have questions on acclimation? Another words the new water temperature should be approximately the same as his so you don't shock him with drastic temperature difference. So when you do 100% water changes you need to acclimate him. You can have him in his changing cup with about 15% of his original water and keep adding small amount of the water about every 5 min for about 5 times this way he will get used to the new water temperature. Also always cover the cup to prevent jumping , bettas are very good jumpers . And even in his tank if you don't have a lid always leave space between the top of the tank and water level, and cover the net if you using one while you taking him out of the water.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #24 
justmel

I am in the process of fine tuning my water change sechdule & upgrading just about everyone to new tanks, but curretnly I have 3 - 10 gallon tanks, 5 gallon tank, 4 gallon tank, 2.5 gallon tank, 2 gallon bowl, 9 - 1 gallon bowl.

• One of the 10 gallons is a heavily planted & filter sorority tank, but I still change it weekly, this one I am upgrading to a 29 gallon NPT.
  • one 10 gallon hold around a dozen fry & get a 50% water change every other day.
  • The third 10 gallon is divided and currently hold 1 DT male, & 2 babies from petco, this one is currently unfiltered so I do a 50% water change in this one every other day as well. I alter days between this tank & the fry tank. I change one each day.
  • The 5 gallon currently hold my bs and gets a 100% water change weekly. This tank is being divided in two for a couple females that don't like sorority life.
  • The 4 gallon is my daughter, but looks like it may be becoming mine soon because she's not taking care of it. It is filtered, but I will have to look into how often it needs changed.
  • The 2.5 is currently serving as a QT tank, is intended as my hospital tank, but will have to be used for awhile yet. This one is changed 50% daily
  • The 2 gallon bowl is being used as a rescue/QT tank. This was supposed to be my daughter as well, but she hasn't been home to do anything with it since she got it, so I give it a 50% water change daily. This one is filtered, but since the betta was sick when we brought him home I want to make sure he stays clean.
  • 5 of the 1 gallons currently hold fish and are changed 50% daily, more if needed
  • The last 4 bowls are awaiting a shipment and will be changed 50% daily while the bettas are in QT as well.
I think that's all of them. I currently have 16 betta (6 male VTs, 1 male DT, 1 male HMDT, 1 male HM, 4 female VTs, 1 unclassified female, 2 babies), around 12 3 wk old fry, & 4 new betta coming any day now. Possibly a 5th one who's sale I had thought fell through, but the seller contacted me this morning. I will have to get this guy a new QT bowl as all of them I have are being used now.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #25 
ANHEL123

wow 16 bettas i admire you. I have 10 and kind of overwhelmed though. But i love them don't get me wrong.
You doing good job , and you really actually need to do weekly water changes even for bigger tanks with gravel vacuuming and filter media rinsing in the old water with a water change. For one gall tank though you really don't have to do daily 50% you can do 2-50% and 1-100% weekly. Or i do 100% every 4 days for my one gall tanks at work. For 2.5 gall you also can do the same. You need 50% only in filtered , cycled tank. And when you do 50% only you need to vacuum the gravel or you can even use turkey buster to take derbies out.(in small tanks you can use turkey buster) Of course acclimate your fish with 100% water changes.
You saying one of your betta is sick, make sure NOT TO cross-contaminate any equipment with other bettas. You have to be carefully with so many of them lol i don't know how you manage. Always if you buy new betta or think your betta getting sick quarantine them and don't share....

And how is your sick one? Do you know instructions on aquarium and epsom slat in case you need to use it for sick fish? Never follow instructions on the box it just for preventative care and it not therapeutic dosage.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #26 
justmel

I have AQ salt since I raise my own bs. I tried it on 1 fish, following the directions I found on here, when is came down with BSD. Just a tiny bit of slime on my EE's, used the AQ salt and he was dead the next morning. I know everyone on here says it works, but putting salt with my fresh water fish makes no sense to me. It scares me & since I've lost 1 fish already when I tried it I am VERY hesitant to use it again. I'll spend any money I need to on med, but I just don't know about the AQ salt again.

Prometheus actually seems fine now. He didn't look to good at the pet store, but the morning after I brought him home and he'd spent some time in nice clean, warm water and he was a new boy. I'm pretty sure he's fine now, but would still need QT. We only got him Monday.

As with everyone here, my betta infestation started with just 1 (Mr. Fish, my avvie) and quickly multiplied. He was so awesome I wanted to breed and share him, so I needed females. Then I needed more males so I had more breeding stock. Then I fell in love with my HM, followed by the DT, And so it just kept going. THEN I found this site and figured out that VT's aren't the best to breed if you want to make $ while doing it, so I had to branch out. Hence the four coming in the mail. :) I may have to end up re-homing some of my pets because it is A LOT of water changes, but that will be a last resort because I wouldn't be ab;e to pick who left first & so many of them I could never part with.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #27 
ANHEL123

Something about aq salt though. You saying that you had fish died , it could be just coincident though. With bettas when they sick they can die really fast or they can surprise you and live even though they looks like dying. Since i am on this forum i was reading soooo...many stories and people using aq and epsom salt and i never saw trhat fish died from the salt, but a lot of sudden death , even healthy fish. So many posts '' my fish was fine today and not it dead'' Sometimes it so difficult to say why they die, why they got sick, and sometimes surprisingly they alive..... And btw salts are a lot of less stressful on fish.
Also it depend why and what you treating fish for. For example with SBD , dropsy aquarium salt can make it worse since it retain the water. For the symptoms like that you need not aq salt but Epsom salt.
Also not all kind of fish tolerant to the salt. Some fish you can not use salt because it can be deadly. So if it was one of that fish then it explained why that fish died. Not sure which fish is tolerant. So far i know you can use on gold fish i think only small amount, but bettas are really beneficial from the salt when they sick . It has antibacterial/fungus effect and improve their electrolyte level.
I am glad that your sick one doing better. Sometimes clean water really can heal. Stress coat API is helpful too, bit access of the slime coat on bettas protect them from being infected.
Everyone don't kill me for my question, but it really a question. If everyone love bettas so much why you want to breed it? It so many of them in the stores dying? The stores next to my job change water only when it dirty. It so sad. And one time thanks i came to the store all cups like 50-60 of them were on top of each other completely blocking the air.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #28 
Khaleesi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleylyn View Post
A friend of mine no longer has fish and gave me her 2.5g tank with a built-in filter. That said, the filter is very strong and I fear for a little betta! I'm really not technologically or creatively talented, so if anyone could explain to me how to minimize the flow in non-fish expert terms, it'd be much appreciated!
Not sure if you saw this before, but this forum has a Step by Step guide to make a filter baffle that I found really helpful when I was making mine. It helped slow down the current quite a bit. I'm not much of a DIY-er either, but I accomplished it pretty easily.

Another thing that helped with my filter was a Pre-filter Sponge so that my betta's fins wouldn't get damaged by the intake tube. I've heard of people making them out of sponges or pantyhose, but it was pretty cheap, and as I said before, I'm not a DIY-er.

Edit: Just realized you wrote built in filter. Not exactly sure how to go about changing that one.

Last edited by Khaleesi; 04-10-2013 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Blonde!
Khaleesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #29 
ANHEL123

i didn't see the link before but it good to know so i can give advice to other people. But when you do 50 and 100% water changes you really don't need the filter. You don't need colonize the bacteria in the filter if you are not cycling your tank. And it kind difficult to establish stable cycle in the small tanks:) You don't need that bacteria in the filter if you not cycling the tank. But if you still have the filter in the non cycled tank don't forget to rinse it.