Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #1 
pittipuppylove

Old Heater Question

Hey everybody,

My younger sister recently got a betta (that I am making sure that she takes good care of, but she's pretty fond of little King Henry VIII, so I'm not overly worried) and is keeping him in a Marineland Crescent 5. We're waiting for a heater to come in the mail, but our dad managed to find the heater that we used in a 10 gallon tank that we had a while back... I know nothing about this heater, other than that it is over ten years old and hasn't been used in close to a decade. No idea how it worked when it was newer, either, since I was a little kid at the time and had no clue about proper fishkeeping. It's solid grey and about 3-4" long, no external markings that I know of (and I can't look at it until Friday when I come home from school). Dad would prefer that we use this heater because we already have it and it'd mean that we wouldn't have to buy another heater, but I'm leery that it won't work properly and will end disastrously. I'm planning on telling them to set it up in a similarly sized container that isn't the tank and to monitor the temperature for around 24 hours before even considering getting it anywhere near the actual tank with a live animal in it. Any other suggestions as to what to do here and/or how to break it to my dad that it may be better in this situation to just use a new heater?

Thanks for any advice!
Leah
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

I was going to suggest exactly what you said about setting it up in another container to see if it even still works. It might be difficult to convince hum to buy a back up since that ones so old & has been unused for so long, chances are fairly high it won't work for long. Good luck with it.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #3 
ZubinBetta

If this won't crush the chances of him supporting your fishkeeping ventures, you might suggest to your dad that in addition to no longer being workable to heat the water for the betta (because its heating capacity is not known), the older heater might simply be unsafe to run after all these years. And it may well be unsafe. I would not counsel using the image of the house going up in flames as a bargaining chip, however, as this is excessively manipulative and I think you probably only want to be somewhat manipulative.
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #4 
Tikibirds

Alot of my heaters are older ones I found off ebay so just cause its old dosen't mean it won't work.
However since you know nothing about the heater in question...
Quote:
the older heater might simply be unsafe to run after all these years.
This is also true -especially if its been in a garage or attic for years

Quote:
It's solid grey and about 3-4" long, no external markings that I know of
Is it glass? Tetra preset heaters are glass with a grey lining on the inside and have no markings. They are crappy heaters when they are new...

There are also marineland stealth heaters which are totally encased in plastic but they were recalled due to blowing up in tanks
http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2011/...ation-Hazards/

Last edited by Tikibirds; 04-02-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #5 
LillieCharlotte

I'd test it in an empty tank with a thermometer. I recently pulled my Hydor 50 watt from the garage after almost 2 years and have been carefully monitoring it. After 2 days, I put it in my Plakat's 2.5 gallon, and I check his temperature frequently.
LillieCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #6 
pittipuppylove

Thanks everybody!

They're monitoring it in a seperate, albeit smaller, container and it seems to be having a hard time heating the container more than 5*F above room temperature - it's currently 68* in a room that's around 65*F (NOT the same room the fish is in). lol I think Dad's starting to realize that it's not the best heater out there, and even if it was working I wouldn't be making any plans to return the heater coming in the mail just because I wouldn't trust it.

Shellica - Thanks - I suspect that once he sees that it's not holding a stable temperature that he'll come around. It's a bit difficult to argue the benefits of using it if the thing doesn't even do what it's supposed to.

Zubin - Heck, I'm not even wanting to be manipulative... I just would appreciate it if he'd realize that a heater that has been hanging up in the basement for nearly ten years may not be the most effective or safe way to heat a tank and that it has the potential to do some real damage to the house. He's mostly been really supportive of my fish obsession, but sometimes his idea of what's practical differs from mine.

Tikibirds - Oh, I fully believe that an older heater can be useful! It's just that I know little to nothing about it. I'm nearly certain that it isn't a Tetra heater - it's a tiny, solid grey plastic thing - but I think it operates around the same lines in that it isn't adjustable.

Lillie - Thanks, that's what we're doing So far, it doesn't seem to be doing that great so it looks like it won't go into the tank.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote