Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #11 
bniebetta

He could just need some time to adjust. My rescue is doing the same thing right now, and so did my first fish before he warmed up which took about two weeks... Have you tried changing his location? maybe he hates the other fish. He could also just be a shy critter, every personality is different. I also have a picky eater so I would say just keep trying different foods and try the garlic thing. Does he look skinny? How is his color?
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #12 
ANHEL123

Actually check those links please. If you still using filter for your 3 gall and doing partial water changes you need to do 2-50% water changes
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #13 
bniebetta

I was looking for those, you're quick!
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #14 
ANHEL123

lol i have them saved in my e mails, so when i need it i just copy and paste .
Old 04-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #15 
SnowyKatt

Hi Anhel, I did a complete water change with Phoenix today, I tried using the garlic juice with pellets soaked into it and he still won't eat it, I've tried the pea and he won't even touch that.

I was able to grab a few pictures, he did look a wee bit bloated once I got him in natural lighting, I tried a small tiny piece of raw garlic and fed it to him last night because at that time that was all I had, he ate it and kept it down and it seemed to have improved him a little bit.

Today though is a different story, he doesn't want to seem to co-operate and I think it is with the water change, I placed the heater in to warm his water up to regular temperature so he isn't freezing.

I found out this morning that my daughter had indeed startled him on purpose, she was angry with her father and decided to take it out on Phoenix knowing how delicate and fragile the poor babe is. I've taken some care into researching and explaining the simple do's and don'ts with Phoenix and how to handle him and care for him.

When she last did his water change she startled him beyond the point of breaking his trust with humans. I was angry with her this morning and did some serious thumping with my fist pounding on the table and bellowed at her for her carelessness and neglectfulness, I'm not through with this matter one bit! I'm still quite angry with her about it.

As a betta fish owner myself it's bothersome to me and she knows I am against all kinds of cruelty no matter the species of the creature big or small, the thing is people always tell me she is but a child... she isn't a child... she isn't 5 years old.. we're talking about a teenager that is 13 years old and who knows better!! I've raised her to be better than this... I've taught her to be better than this.

When I found out about how she treated him I wasn't at all pleased, I'll make sure he never suffers by her hands again, he did NOT deserve such a cruel thing like this by her, he's just a small little creature who loved everyone and was happy.... now he isn't happy... I'm considering keeping him for myself and taking care of him from here on forth.

Phoenix is back to square one with the not eating, I'm now definitely positive his depression is led to heart break or something else because of my daughter.

I noticed after a closer inspection when I cleaned his tank and have taken severe extra care in handling him while changing him that he has some scales that seemed to have fallen off from his precious face that I haven't noticed before.

So here is the pictures of Rainbow and Phoenix... *sighs*... I didn't think my daughter would do such a cruel thing to Phoenix... I'm highly embarrassed by her behavior and having to post this... I'll make sure things are set right and if Phoenix dies because of her, she will be the one to suffer the consequences in the end!!
Attached Images

SnowyKatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #16 
SnowyKatt

I believe I have discovered the problem to Phoenix... he has a fine gold like mist on parts of his body... I just noticed this and believe he has Velvet!! will definitely seek immediate attention asap
Old 04-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #17 
ANHEL123

If it indeed velvet you need aquarium salt, raise the water temperature, daily 100% water changes. Also symptoms darting, rubbing on objects(walls,plants,heater) also looks like he is sprinkled with salt, white patches or just like you said has a fine gold like mist on parts of his body.
Take everything out from the tank. All you have to do is just wash everything with hot water and live it out to air dry. You can put it back when you sure he don't have parasites any more. You can lower the water in his container so it would be easier for you to change the water. If you can raise the temperature up to 84* but you need to do it slowly about 1-2* in an hour. Raising the temp will speed up parasites life cycle and help them to fall so you can remove them manually. Do daily 100% water changes. When you pre mix salt make sure it dissolved,shake it well. Use 3tsp/gall. I hope your other fish is doing well.

About your daughter you are right and i would not trust her to change him any more. You know i have my son and guess what i never ever had fish in my life untill 7 years ago when my son and my husband brought first betta for his birthday. And i ask them what i am going to do with that . Since then i am just addicted and always will have them no matter what, because i hate to see them in the store. But i kind of bad i just do simple simple care . 2.5 gall tanks and 100% water changes no filter it too much for me. Just gravel , silk plant. But my point is that guess what my son do not care about them any more at all so now it all on me. I think may be your daughter just don't care about them. And it fine, some people don't like cats, other fish , tell you the truth girl i am working don't like and understand my passion to the animals at all.
Any way do salt and sometimes people still use medications even after that . But start with salt.
Now another questions he might be tiny bit bloated. I know he don't eat but still if you see his poo check and make sure it not white and stringy,wormy shape it can be that this little guy also has internal parasites or internal bacteria.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #18 
SnowyKatt

Hi Anhel, I gave him his dose of aquarium salt today, I put back in his heater and added a few other things to his aquarium way before I found out the velvet.

It does indeed truly look like velvet, fine gold mist on the fins and body, no wonder the little guy isn't feeling so well!! I researched first before I decided to rush out to the fish store and buy medication to treat his velvet matter.

I done a complete 100% water change today and I had a very firm talk with my daughter tonight about her being irresponsible, I asked her how she would feel swimming around in her own filth and poo and gone bad food for weeks at a time, I even had her read what velvet is and how it is caused.

She was so upset and in tears and I told her because his case is on the serious side it may be months before he is cleared of it, and there is NO possible guarantee that he will ever get rid of it now even with the medication, I explained to her firmly that there is still a high chance he will die from it.

It finally hit home with her, I told her she can no longer take care of him and she should feel ashamed for mistreating him the way she had, I had definitely expected better from her than this. The poor little darling is now sitting in his first dose of the velvet medication I bought.

I had spoken with the manager of the fish store and explained the situation at hand regarding Phoenix... the medication he gave me is a bit stronger than the other medications he had, he told me 1 drop per gallon for 3 days, skip a day than repeat again until symptoms disappear.

He gave me a warning though that because Phoenix is already far along with the velvet, there is a high chance the fish will die, :(.

He was surprised Phoenix survived this long with it, so now my daughter is in her room sobbing up a storm over her loss of Phoenix... I cannot risk anymore of this nonsense she pulled on him, I told her I am at my limit and enough is enough, I told her she was grounded for 2 weeks because of it and has lost out on some privileges.

I explained to her that his life is now on the line because of her mistreatment towards him, if she wasn't interested in him she should of came to me as a mature 13 year old and told me.

I will do another 100% water change with him in 2 days time... I placed a little home in his aquarium for him to hide in, I think it's called the "stress-free" home or the "hide-out" home... something along that effect... posting pictures now, :)

I think he is cute... will remove everything else tomorrow...letting him adjust first than do a complete disinfection tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #19 
ANHEL123

Yes unfortunately there is never guaranty if he will survive, He lucky to have you as his mom:)
One advice do not over treat with medication. Not sure how many full treatments instructions tell you to do. If you still think he is acting not himself after treatment is finished you really can continue with aquarium salt it less stressful on fish and really helpful. If you will need more instructions let us know. And always treat at least 3-4 days post you see them last time, to ensure that non of them left in the gills area.
I would really would like to know outcome and see if the medications that you are using will help so we can recommended other people. Good luck with Phoenix i hope he will survive.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #20 
SnowyKatt

Thanks Anhel, and to everyone else for the support, today is treatment day #2, when I checked on him this morning I saw 2 little gold like particles floating at the top of his aquarium in the water, I grabbed the spoon and scooped the particles out, I don't know if this was the velvet starting to come or what it was.

It looked like miniature little round balls but gold in color, I disinfected the spoon and waiting for more to come up, Phoenix still is NOT eating but he seems to be less stressed and less depressed, he has shown a little more activity today and has actually greeted me this morning by pressing his lips to the aquarium wall.

I blew him a kiss and said good morning to him in return and asked him how he was doing today, spent half hour with him chatting to him and he was listening to me and either lightly bumped his nose or kissed the wall, his weird way of showing me his communication skills with me.

It's a start, so keeping my fingers crossed for him, I hope he will recover from this, he's a tough little guy and I keep telling him everyday when I see him that I love him and wish him a quick recovery and that he's my strong little soldier, he will do me proud for fighting with me on this velvet, :).