Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #1 
JadeAngel

The Marble Gene - 1 betta's journey

I compiled these photos of my husband's betta (recently passed), Sushi.

At first we thought he was sick, and everyone here suggested it was a bacterial infection. Little by little the white spread for weeks and no medicines helped.

Then after a few weeks... our once royal blue crown tail was pure white. I decided that I had to take lots of pictures or no one would believe me how severely his "bacterial infection" had spread...

Then he got red on his back... then started turning black too!? Where upon my friend, who works in an aquarium, exclaimed "huh... looks like a marble fish". Marble, huh? MARBLE!? Yep... marble. He was never ill. He was just... different

Unfortunately, he died a few weeks ago and we don't know why. He was in the bottom corner of his tank with his gill plates closed and mouth wide open. Half of his dorsal fin was missing (he was fine the night before, we woke up and found him like that). I suspect the ghost shrimp decided to munch on him during the night after he died? I can't imagine a ghost shrimp could kill a betta just by biting the dorsal fin. The parameters were fine, and no other signs of what could have done him in

Oh yeah, and funny enough... he got to be an Egyptian flag fish for a while! (ok, he could pass for yemen, seria, and iraq too... but I like Egypt! hehe)

So anyway... here's his extreme makeover, fishy edition!
Attached Images

JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:15 AM   #2 
free2battle1

wow thats rally a big change. He looks to be bloated in those pics tho.
free2battle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #3 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2battle1 View Post
wow thats rally a big change. He looks to be bloated in those pics tho.
yeah, He was always like that since we got him at the store :/ I always thought he had constipation problems, and I'd limit his food at times and give him fasting days but he never got smaller there, I used epsom salt baths when we thought his color change was a bacterial infection, but that didn't do anything to his big tummy either. My other bettas have normal sized tummies though.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #4 
Fenghuang

It could have been a tumor from the looks of it. Plus, you said it never went away...

He was very pretty boy though. Sorry for your loss.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #5 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenghuang View Post
It could have been a tumor from the looks of it. Plus, you said it never went away...

He was very pretty boy though. Sorry for your loss.
That would be a possible explanation for his sudden death too. My husband was really upset that he passed away. He always calls him the most awesome fish ever because of his color change and his personality. He has a new one now, but he's just not too attached to it

My betta gets a little bloated from time to time, and all I have to do is give him a fasting day (because he can pig out a little bit too much sometimes) and he goes back to normal the next day. So a tumor was quite possible.