Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2013, 02:46 AM   #1 
Paigeyy

Question New fish and shrimp

I have two different questions on this thread, the most urgent one is about some freshwater shrimp i recently caught.
I caught about 20 of them in a local river and kept them in the river water for a day or two while I tried to figure out what to do with them. i noticed that most of the bigger ones had died and the live ones were jumping out of the water onto the sides of the container. I put them into a new clean tank and they seemed good, but after another day or two half of those died too , so now i have about 5 left and i'm wondering if i put them into the large tank with my fighting fish if they'll have a better chance of surviving? or if they'll just die in the big tank as well. I think the problem was that i put some food in the small tank and that ruined the water

The second part is that im looking for some new fish to put with my bettas. I recently did a big tank clean and forgot to put water conditioner in ( i know... big mistake ) so all my tetras died .
I want some really peaceful fish that wont bother my bettas at all. I felt the neons were too nippy and the latest rummynoses were even bothering poor caboose...
Please be kind, i havent researched any new species yet, just looked at what my local pet stores stock. Here are the ones i like, but i have no idea on the compatibility with my bettas:

Leopard danino
Glow light tetra
Glass Catfish** ( my favorite )
White CLoud
Tiger barbs
Widows
Ghost knife
Paigeyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #2 
Stone

I would be leery of a shrimp I did not know what kind it was and putting it in my tank, could be aggressive, could carry some kind of funk or will most likely die in a few day because you don't know what it eats or what it's water requirements are....as to the 2nd question just make sure it is a peacful community fish and you should be good, just not too brightly colored or have long flowing fins, a lot depends on the specific betta, most of mine have corydora catfish as tankmates they help keep the bottom of the tanks clean which is a nice benefit, but I have2 bettas that just do not want room mates at all and will flare and attack them so it isn't always about who won't attack the betta, sometimes it's who the betta won't attack
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:23 AM   #3 
Paigeyy

The shrimp look exactly like the ones i got from the pet store. I also did research on the species that live in the area, so i'm pretty certain they'll eat what my other shrimps eat.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:26 AM   #4 
Paigeyy

Does anyone have any experience with their Bettas and Glass Catfish? Online it says they're peaceful and live in schools of 5 or more? how much area in the tank will they need?
Old 04-03-2013, 12:58 AM   #5 
Paigeyy

any advice would be appreciated! please?
Old 04-03-2013, 01:16 AM   #6 
valen1014

Personally I'd be worried that the shrimps, especially since they are straight from the wild, will carry diseases. If the place where you got them isn't too far, I'd just set up a separate tank for shrimps and go back and collect more when the tank is ready.
valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:19 AM   #7 
Fishybitty

Like everyone has said, I would be skeptical about the shrimp but then again it is up to you. I personally would buy some cherry shrimps they are pretty hardy from what I've heard.

I don't know about the glass catfish, sorry :(
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:32 AM   #8 
Paigeyy

my cherry shrimp get eaten because they're too obvious and the bettas can catch them :( and they're really expensive to buy if they're just going to get eaten in a few days =/
Old 04-03-2013, 01:43 AM   #9 
valen1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigeyy View Post
my cherry shrimp get eaten because they're too obvious and the bettas can catch them :( and they're really expensive to buy if they're just going to get eaten in a few days =/
How about ghost shrimps? They are used as feeder shrimps and are usually super cheap =]
valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:55 AM   #10 
Paigeyy

there's only one pet store nearby that sells shrimp and they stopped selling anything but cherry unfortunately i would've definitely bought some more ghost shrimp (i managed to get one from them a while ago) but i thought that maybe the ones from the river would be a good alternative =/