Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2013, 01:55 AM   #1 
kinesthetic

Clamped Fin and Fin Rot?

My girlfriend and I decided to get a betta in February, being ignorant people, we assumed wrongly that bettas could live in bowls and did not need a heater and filter etc. We started doing research immediately after we started noticing our poor betta get clamped fin, needless to say we went out and got every amenity possible to treat our betta and keep him healthy. The clamped fin has finally gone away and our fish seems to be very happy and making bubble nests in his tank. I am asking this because, 1.) some of the fins split upon him reopening them, and 2.) a small amount of fin rot has occurred. I am worried that it may continue and am hoping that he has fought off the bacteria, however, I am curious if we should setup a quarantine tank and get him rolling with salt treatment, or if he is okay.

(The fish in the avatar is our second fish, very healthy and without any diseases.)
kinesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

What size is his current tank? Unless you have something in the tank such as snails or other fish that can't handle salt I would leave him where he is. If its very mild your regular water changes should take care of it. What is your normal water change schedule?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #3 
Stone

I would treat him with AQ salt or what it really is normal non iodized table salt...yep its the same thing but guess what AQ salt costs more,I would treat him for a few days at least and make sure the fin rot has stopped and started healing
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #4 
kinesthetic

He is in a smaller tank because he is in my girlfriends dorm, but it is 1.5 gallons. I just heard a quarantine tank was good because the gravel may still have bacteria. I believe she changes around 25% or a little more every week and she just changed the filter.

Also what is your opinion on turning the filter off, I heard that helps fin regeneration?
Old 04-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #5 
Stone

if you turn the filter off for more than 24 hours you risk killing the BB's in the filter which could cause water quality issues in smaller tanks it's hard to get a true cycle going but the filter will still help keep the water clean, and clean water will be the biggest aid in getting back to good health
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

A 1.5g is not a big volume of water & she really should do bigger water changes. Personally I don't use a filter on a tank that small. Changing out the filter cartridge will throw the tank into a mini cycle to say the least. Have either of you tested the water with a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates? Keeping his water clean will be of the utmost importance for his fins to heal up.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #7 
kinesthetic

No, I will have to run to petsmart and pick up some water quality stuff, that is good advice, I appreciate it. I will have to get her to change the water, and do some salt treatment.