Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #1 
pablo27

Not sure what's wrong, possibly stress but I want to be sure.

Hey guys, appreciate you taking the time to read this and thanks in advance for any advice or solutions you can offer. I have had my betta "Blue" (he's red..) for about eight months now. Up until a few days ago he's never had any sort of health issues. I rescued him from a local Petsmart and was lucky enough to get a perfectly healthy betta.

Anyway, a few days ago I did a 50% water change which normally doesn't stress him out. I had purchased a couple new silk plants and replaced the old with the new. One of the ones I replaced was his favorite spot to be when not buzzing around the tank or devouring his food.

That night when I fed him, he seemed interested as usual, nearly begging for his food but when he started eating he acted like it wasn't food.. simply spitting it out and letting it fall to the bottom of the tank. He's been doing this for about three days now. I tried switching the old decor back in, thinking maybe he just wanted his old "territory" back, but no luck so far. He shows no other symptoms of illness and is still as active as ever. Any ideas?

Housing
What size is your tank? 2g
What temperature is your tank? 78-80 at all times
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? TetraBetta Plus for the most part, give him a pea once a week and recently gave him TetraNature gel mix with brine shrimp(only fed twice with the gel)
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times per day, fasting one day of the week.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once or twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra AquaSafe Plus

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I have not tested it yet as I have to purchase a new kit (planning on doing so today, but thought maybe there would be something else I can try in the mean time)

Ammonia: TBA
Nitrite: TBA
Nitrate: TBA
pH: TBA
Hardness: TBA
Alkalinity: TBA

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? It hasn't, he's a bright vibrant red. No fin clamping at all.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He refuses to eat anything at all, otherwise he's perfectly normal.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Three days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, the only thing I've tried is feeding him a few types of food. (The gel mix, a pea, his pellets.)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nope, not at all. I've never seen him get sick.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Assuming the pet stores sell them at a few months old, maybe just over a year at the most.

PLEASE HELP! I will update the thread and/or add a new post as soon as I can test the water. Thank you so much!
pablo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #2 
Somethingstoofishy

Here are three possibilities:
1. You are overfeeding him (not likely i dont think)
2. He is simply getting tired of his food (bettas do that sometimes
3. He is picky (all bettas, including mine, are picky)
Somethingstoofishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #3 
pablo27

It could be that he got tired of his food, I guess. He won't even eat a pea of I put it in there though.. last week he would attack it like he hadn't eaten in months. I will try and grab a new kind of food when I go for the testing kit. Any suggestions?
pablo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #4 
Fieldz

Sometimes bettas are just picky eaters. Hes going to start eating again soon. If he doesnt, try changing the pellets. Just dont forget to make sure that everything you add into your aquarium is safe. Some plastic objects release toxical chemicals into the water and that can kill your fish.
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote