Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #1 
LindaMFerguson

Swimming erratically?

So this morning my son's betta is laying at the bottom of his tank but occasionally swims around real fast & then goes back to the bottom. He was fine last night. I don't see any other signs, fins are not clamped. Any suggestions or ideas?
LindaMFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #2 
Lostiethatlikesherbetta

is the water any colder than normal?
that may effect behaviour.
Lostiethatlikesherbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #3 
LindaMFerguson

No I just got a new heater last week that has kept the water temp much more consistent, I have a thermometer on each side of the tank to be sure.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #4 
shellieca

A little more info is needed. What size tank? Water Temp? How long has the tank been set up? Have you tested the water with a liquid water test kit for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates? If so, what are the exact readings? When was your last water change & how much was changed? Does he have tank mates? How long have you had him?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #5 
LindaMFerguson

2.5 gallons, tank setup for about 4 or 6 weeks, 84 degrees water temp, got the betta 3 days after I let the tank sit after filling, no tank mates, just tested the water for ammonia and it tested at the 'stressful' level so I just did a 100% water change, which I do every 4 days (50%, which actually turns out to be more like a 70-80% water change by the time the gravel pump cleans it), maybe I should do it more often?
Old 04-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #6 
bniebetta

Sounds like there is not enough healthy bacteria to keep your water parameters in the safe zone. Are you rinsing and scrubbing everything when you do water changes? If so, this could be part of the problem. This happened to my 1.7 gallon tank before I realized I was overdoing it. Also, I have one specific fish that has really crappy water parameters unless he is in a 5 gallon environment, while my other fish do fine in just about anything. Also, something could be scaring him. That same fish who needs 5 gallons started freaking out one day just like this, and it turned out that he did not like my teal nail polish (go figure). So if something about your appearance or his surroundings has changed it could be freaking him out. Also, threatening stimuli such as a child tapping on the tank, sticking their fingers or objects in the water, or loud noises can sometimes freak out the fish.
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #7 
LindaMFerguson

No I don't scrub the plants or ornament, I just rinse them in cool water. I learned that lesson the hard way! I don't let my son mess with the tank, he helps me feed him but other than that he only looks. I guess we'll see how he does after this 100% water change, I just released him.

Thank you for your suggestions!
Old 04-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #8 
shellieca

If you are trying to cycle the tank you cannot rinse anything in untreated tap water, that will kill the BB. Are you running a filter? I have an unfiltered 2.5g, I do 2 80% water changes w/ a vac each week & a 100% every 3rd or 4th water change but I don't rinse anything just remove all the water with a vac/syphon. If your strips are showing in the unsafe zone, it could be higher since strips are not accurate. If you can get a liquid ammonia test kit that'd be much better. Have you ever tested your tap water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #9 
LindaMFerguson

No I don't have a filter, I normally don't rinse the plants & ornament unless I do a 100% water change, they feel kinda slimy, should I not rinse them & just put them back in? I have a nitrate/nitrite kit, but in my location all I can get are test strips, unless I order online. I haven't used it yet but I'll go ahead & test & post it in a little bit.
Thank you!
Old 04-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #10 
LindaMFerguson

I just tested. GH is 180, KH is 240, PH is 7.0, extremely low nitrite & 0 nitrate. Now I just have to find what those mean because the box doesn't say!