Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #11 
Myates

She is a VT, he is pretty.. but as mentioned, VTs can be hard to find homes for. You will most likely have to find a pet store to take them off your hand- for pennies or for free. Most people won't pay $35 for shipping + cost of fish for a 'run of the mill' VT.
I think a shame.. but in the US they aren't as popular. If you love them, then go for it.. you'll mostly get multi colors of blue and red mix.

VTxHM - VTs, some will have a bit wider base of the tail, but VT nonetheless
HMxEE - Delta tails, Super Deltas and a few HMs (depending on how good the HM is) - (EEs tend not to be 180 spread, very rare.. but if it's an HM EE it will still have the HM genes. You won't have any EEs if both parents aren't EEs)
CTxPK - If regular PK and not HMPK you will be getting PK, some with medium length fins, and messy webbing which you will need to work on for multiple generations to get a CTPK, also adding in an HMPK into the line to try to get the fins better.
PKxDT - PK with Double tail genes.
VTxCT - VTs with messy fins.. will look shredded, but not in the good/pretty way

When mixing fins you will have to know what to expect, and to know it will take a few generations of "cleaning" the lines/fins by breeding back and bringing in new genes, etc.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #12 
blu the betta

so the HMxEE ARE THE BEST?
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #13 
Luimeril

why not just go for something like HMxHM? sometimes you can special order bettas at pet stores, so you can ask for an HM pair. you may have to pay a bit more, but it'd be worth it.

or, you could browse Aquabid, or the classifieds here. that would be your best bet if you want breeding stock.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #14 
JJChocolate88

they are certainly pretty. it would be interesting to see what the fry look like, but like other people said there are a lot of VT being bred already.
JJChocolate88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #15 
blu the betta

I want something that will catch peoples eyes. Something a little more exotic. What about suggrest farms?
Old 04-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #16 
trilobite

Experimenting can give some interesting surprises If you want exotic how about trying to make a giant dtctpk? Or maybe a dt ct? It would take many generations to make them look good but youve gotta start somewhere
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #17 
blu the betta

i want the betta male dumbo delta shw off of www.sugrestfarms.com
Old 04-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #18 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu the betta View Post
so the HMxEE ARE THE BEST?
It depends on what you want.. if you want to sell the most then you don't want this pairing, as you will have deltas which are undesirable and tend to be (sadly) culled by the breeder when they pop up in HM spawns.

As for exotic.. well.. you aren't going to be doing anything new when it comes to mixing fins.. they have all been mixed many times. A lot of the "exotics" such as EEs, Dumbos, etc etc are actually deformities that had popped up in the years of breeding these fish and people have worked many generations on to "perfect" the deformities.

Mixing the fins won't give you exotics, will give you first few generations of undesirables then you work towards the ones people want.. and those are out there already. Once in a while you may end up with one that is a bit different.. but personally I wouldn't try doing this until you're a bit more experienced and know how their genes work.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #19 
blu the betta

okay.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #20 
DezernGirl

Smile

Your pair are very pretty, however, I would not breed a VT. Like everyone else has stated, they are not as wanted since they are so easily found at pet stores.

Just a suggestion, you could do like I did and order a breeding pair from Soley927 on Aquabid.com

The ones I bought from him are not perfect but I think they are VERY pretty. The most popular, and most wanted Betta right now seems to be the HMPK. I bought two breeding pairs from him. My blue green pair was $15 and he gave me a slightly defected pair for $5. Priority shipping was used since the temp in my area was fairly warm. He is located in the U.S. like me, so I was able to avoid the transhipping fees. In all I only paid $30 for 4 quality fish including shipping.

There are also many other sellers on Aquabid who are amazing!

You will be so much happier with your results if you can just invest a little more in the beginning when buying the fish.

Looks like Soley doesn't have much left that is good, but last I heard he has some Superblacks in his grow out tank (If I remember correctly). But for now, Fishlover007 has some cool looking fish! (Never bought any from there but they are pretty and located in the U.S.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...r&Fishlover007

Good luck! :)
DezernGirl is offline   Reply With Quote