Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2008, 11:29 AM   #1 
Gabydoodle

Help

I guess you could say I'm pretty typical. I got a betta fish kind of on a whim. I told myself I can't bring anything home from the pet store, and of course, I fall in love with the most beautiful little boy.

So basically everything was spontaneous. I was with my friend, who has 4 bettas...but I'm not really a fish person. I'd like to learn how to take care of him properly without buying books and stuff.

So I'm guessing you guys can help me out?
Recommend a good tank size or whatever (right now he's kinda uhh in a rather large pretty glass water pitcher)
Food?

I'm moving soon and I wouldn't mind getting like a 10 gal tank or something (?) and getting a few other fish too. What's pretty and compatible?

Help!
Gosh, I hate sounding like a n00b.
Thanks though.
Gabydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:00 PM   #2 
paws

10 gallon tank.......PERFECT! I like to feed my fish tropical fish food flakes. I get them in a lagre yellow jar from tetra i think.... My betta doesn't eat pelets . I also feed mine peas (ocassional) and 1 blood worm a week. Don't forget a heater. You go back there and get a heater this is something NEEDED! Your betta will be MUCH happier with a heater. Buy some live and silk plants too. He will enjoy swimming through them. Get a sponge filter. Those help a TON sponge filters are best cuz bettas do NOT like water flow. It will stress him out. Do you have dechlorinizer? If not you have to go back to the pet store and get some cuz your betta can die of the harsh metals in tap water. A coat condionter also helps. I use Stress Coat. It works like magic. I like to feed my betta 3 or 4 times a day. I normally feed Casper before I go to school, right when I come home from school at around 6-7:00 and then right before I go to bed. I keep rocks in the bottom of my tank. Oh yeah I almost forgot. It is a good idea to cycle the tank before you put your betta in it. I cycled my tank with my betta in it and he was fine. Cycling builds of good bactieria in the tank. And you need water test kit to see the water parameters. This helps you tell what in goin on in your tank (bacteria wise). It will also let you know when it is done cycling. If you have a 10 galloner it will probably take you about a month and 1/2. There is some more stuff but I gotta go. Good-luck!
paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:28 PM   #3 
Gabydoodle

Ah =/
As of now I have a little plant and rocks at the bottom. And I feed him flakes.

What's all this looking like moneywise?
College = broke.

My only concern with a bigger tank is transporting it home during breaks and such. Which is why the little one is working out fine for now...
It's probably about 2 gallons =/
Old 05-03-2008, 02:00 PM   #4 
paws

about $60-$50 dollars for me. But I didn't have to pay my mom did for my birthday. I would ATLEAST buy a 2.5 gallon. Cuz bettas need 2.5 gallons to be really happy. Do you have a heater? You need one. I got mine at Wal-mart for about $15 it works great. It also is little so it is easy to hide. You also don't have to purchase a thermonirter cuz it is so lil it just sets the temp to 78 degrees by itself. Did you get water dechorlinizer? You need some. It will save your betta's life. Flakes are fine. Umm..Can someone take care of your fish during your break? It will save A LOT of time.
paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:12 PM   #5 
Gabydoodle

I have stress coat.
asl;dkjfsl;kdjf this is so pricey :(
Old 05-03-2008, 04:03 PM   #6 
fish_4_all

If all you are keeping is a betta, a 5 gallon is fine. A small sponge filter, small heater if you need one. Room temp is fine as long as it stays between 74-80F. No light needed as long as room lighting is enough to light up the tank well.

I could set one up complete with filter, gravel, light and plants for under $50. 10 gallon for about the same price. Even with a heater it may not be above $60.
fish_4_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:09 PM   #7 
Gabydoodle

Argh, I just want someone who knows what they're talking about to come with me =[

My friend has a bunch of bettas (as I said) but she's not hardcore about it or anything. Makes up a pretty bowl, feeds them, occasionally changes the water.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:23 PM   #8 
fish_4_all

If she has been able to keep them alive and well for long periods of time then go for it! There is nothing more helpful than having someone who is doing it and doing things the same way. Just make sure that you realize that even if you replicate things exactly that sometimes it won't work quite as well and you may have to change certain things to keep them healthy.
fish_4_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:36 PM   #9 
Gabydoodle

I've had my fishy since December or January and he's doing fine, I just can't read a fish's mind and I hope he's doing alright and at least somewhat enjoying life, you know?
Old 05-03-2008, 10:26 PM   #10 
It'sJames

I would really recommend Hikari Bio Gold pellets for your betta. They won't melt in the water and fogg it like flakes can. Prepared foods, like pellets or flakes, should be the staple, but adding live/frozen bloodworms is also a great idea. My bettas love them! - they'll actually jump out of the water when they see me holding one above them. You could look in your local paper, craigslist, or garage sales for a used tank. You could probably find a tank, heater, filter and decorations for under $50 (or even around $20 if you get lucky at a garage sale). A heater is very important, and a thermometer is super helpful. Only about a buck or two for an in-tank thermometer - don't buy a strip.

If you're thinking about a 10 gallon, there are several other things you could put with your betta. Corries, small livebearers (coral platies, dwarf livebearers, ect.), danios, khuli loaches (might want to check up on these, they may get too large for a 10 gallon).

Or if you'd like to mix things up a bit, you could try something like African Dwarf frogs, freshwater shrimp, or mystery snails. I really love ADFs, and so do my bettas; they're very entertaining critters.

Keep in mind that you don't have to buy everything at once. Some of my tanks are definatly "projects". :D
It'sJames is offline   Reply With Quote