Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #1 
jasperandecho

Help: New Betta- Not eating for 4 days

So I got may make delta tail Oz home and plopped him in my ten gallon heated tank. The water consists of flourish, stress coat, and quick start. The tank contains decor, gravel, about 15 plants (amazon and argentine swords and an assorted Anubis), a heater, and a sponge filter turned on low. I put him i are letting him acclimate to the water tempurature. I waited a day to feed him. On Monday I tried feeding him with no luck (I tried pellets and flakes of different brands with no luck, he didn't even look at it. I already am treating one sick betta, I dot have the time or tanks to treat another so if he doesn't eat by this weekend I'm giving him back to the pet store. I can't handle another fish death I've buried to many this year. Today is Wednesday, what should I do? Physically he is fine showing NO sickness signs at all. He is shy and hides behind the heater when I come into the room, I thought he was cold so the tempurature is around 82 now. He still hides. He swims normal too what should I do? How many days can they go without eating?
Attached Images

jasperandecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Do you get his attention before dropping the food? I always tap the water with my finger, once he or she is looking & comes up to the area then I drop one pellet. IME, it takes a new Betta in a larger tank (5g or more) a while to relate my opening the hood with food. It has taken me a week or more to get a new Betta to eat consistently but I have to get their attention to where the food is going to drop. They can go two weeks or longer with no food but its not something I would recommend if it can be avoided.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #3 
jasperandecho

Yeah I do, sometimes I will think he's dead and tap the tank, unlike my other betta (who is even sick) darts or moves this guy does NOTHING! I don't want to starve him.if he doesn't eat I'm returning him I think because I don't want to test how long he can live... :/
Old 04-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #4 
VincentTH

Did you try different food, like frozen Bloodworms? Some bettas are used to live food, and they would refuse non-wiggling food.
VincentTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #5 
jasperandecho

VincentTH I don't use frozen bloodworms as they can cause compaction. I do have other frozen food I will try today!
Old 04-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #6 
VincentTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperandecho View Post
VincentTH I don't use frozen bloodworms as they can cause compaction. I do have other frozen food I will try today!
Do you mean dry-frozen food? Those are known to cause constipation, because the dry food would expand inside the fish. Frozen food are about the safest food you can give to your Betta, albeit expensive!!!
VincentTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #7 
jasperandecho

Yes sorry that's what I meant. I'm at school so I quickly typed between classes. There only 5$ for a pack of 20 squares I refrigerate them for two days an then discard. Give them to my frog and occasionally one of my bettas.